Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

hacking my wifi

• Hiya my son was online playing a game and a guy told him he had our ip address and was gonna hack it is this possible and his Internet kept going off and on ? ....thanks 
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: hacking my wifi

Hello

Not possible to hack, there is something that can cause the internet to drop called DDOS where they flood the connection and cause the internet to keep dropping you can find out about it here https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/learning/ddos/what-is-a-ddos-attack/

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Legend
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: hacking my wifi

Yes, that Cloudflare link is a very good description of a DDOS attack. This is not what most users experience, a DDOS attach means hundreds if not thousands of machines attaching you, that’s why it’s called a Distributed Denial Of Service. This rarely happens to normal users, it happens mostly to corporations, banks, etc. Most users just get another user attacking them, usually by a script. DDOS is a very misused description. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2