Menu
akrami
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

fraud

I have been a Virgin Media client for many years. I had a call today claiming to be from Virgin Media and speaking in an Indian accent. in the first, a lady stated that they call the Virgin Broadband section and asked them to check our Broadband due to problems in the internet service, so they asked me to go to the following address
www.virginhub.webnode.com 
And from service number one, download software that was remote control and install it on my computer. I found that webnode.com is a server that provides a free website to customers, and I found this to be unusual.
Please publish this so that other customers do not suffer from these fraudsters. 

Tags (1)
Helena21
Just joined
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: fraud

Thank you for your post. Exactly the same thing just happened to me this morning: an unsolicited call claiming to be from Virgin media technical help desk, an woman with a strong Indian accent and background noise suggestive of a call centre. Being a cautious type I asked who she was and where she was calling from. She replied with an English forename and surname...Lisa something or other, calling from Griffin House, 161 Hammersmith Rd, London.(Google lists this as Virgin Corporate Office) It seemed odd to be receiving such a call given the current pandemic. She claimed their system showed my internet speed was slower than it should be (it always is, we just live with it) & told me to check the lights on the router then to switch on a device...not an iPad, had to be a laptop or PC she said (mine is a Mac). Instructed me to go to a site to check download, upload speeds and ping. Said these were too low. Instructed me to go to : [MOD EDIT: Suspicious link removed] at which point your post was the first listing and I terminated my call with her. A return call followed a few minutes later from a man with an Indian accent again claiming to be from Virgin support. I hung up.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

calls are not from VM they are well known scams. No isp will call you about problems or illegal activity
0 Kudos
akrami
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That's exactly what happened to me. Usually, they try to enter your system as administrative through this software and if your accounts and bank cards are stored in your system, they can access your files. Sometimes your system is completely hacked and they ask for money in return for your files.

But I'm glad you did the right things.

All the best.

0 Kudos
shen1
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post. I received the same call today with the exactly the same process and tried to get me to download "any desk.com" on my Mac. I was suspicious and with your post warning immediately hung up. Ironically, I have been trying to contact Virgin Media to send me a replacement router without much success.

0 Kudos