cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dos participant letter

STEVEN12
Joining in

I've had a dos participant letter - not to sure I understand it. I've run antivirus and malware scans, nothing coming up. I have no idea about how to check ports, don't know what I'm doing with stuff like that. It says my personal data and transactions are at risk so should I be reporting this to someone in authority? I am 73 years old and very concerned.

7 REPLIES 7

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @STEVEN12,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

Would you mind expanding on the situation and what's happened? What does the letter state exactly?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi thanks for your time. It says' We've been notified by a third party that a device in your home network has participated in a Denial of Service attack'. Then 'It does mean your personal data and online financial transactions, including credit card purchases, could be at risk'. And 'It's liely that a device connected to your broadband either has a security vulnerability that is allowing this traffic to pass through your home connection or one of your devices is infected with malware.' And  'If you don't get it fixed we may need to suspend or cancel your broadband service'.

I have constant virus checkers running, have done malware scans and nothing shows at all. I don't know what is happening.

This is all very stressful, especially since there doesn't seem to be much useful information about this out there. I've read that I should check ports, but don't understand any of what I'm supposed to be doing. Is this a genuine threat and should I be reporting it to someone? 

Thank you for that information. 

Can you confirm, has the letter come directly from ourselves at Virgin Media?

^Martin

Yes. it is headed notepaper address Virgin Sunderland and showing my account number

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See if the advice given in this similar thread is of help, Re: Letter received regarding DOS attack generated... - Virgin Media Community - 5031760

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Not really helpful, no.

There doesn't seem to be any advice from VM for those of us less tech savvy.  If there really is a threat to finances etc then shouldn't it be reported to Action Fraud? VM themselves do not seem very concerned with what's happening other than to threaten discontinuation of service.  My husband has recently passed away, I'm struggling to cope and honestly this is just more than I can deal with at the moment.

Hi @STEVEN12,

Thank you for expanding further in your posts. If you have followed the instructions detailed in the letter and/or email received regarding this, especially regarding malware and virus checks, then there will be no need to worry.

If there's any particular advice on the letter that you're struggling with then please let us know.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!