Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

account hacked and contact email changed

I received an email from Virginmedia  informing me that my contact email address had been changed. This is a fraudulent change.

I can no longer access my account or my emails. I have had to set up a gmaill account to continue my activities.

Please advise.

Chris Smyth

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: account hacked and contact email changed

Welcome to our Forum Chris and sorry to hear that your account may have been hacked.

Can you clarify whether it's your online account or email account that you believe has been hacked?

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Both, email and online account have been hacked.

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Chris.

I'm going to send you a Private Message asking for some details. Please reply back to it so I can take a look at your online and email accounts.

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Chris-Smyth Hacking of account

Interesting  post, because I had an instant in the last few days where my  virgin password did not work but I managed to recover it with  the security question but my account seemed ok but possible someone viewed it so I changed user name, password and security question.

If  an account access  is denied, virgin can reset the account as indicated in one of your answers, suggest you read my posts- "possible hacking", The system is not as secure as other providers like gmail which has very good security and includes an option for verification 2 step via phone text and code sent each time you log in this helps to prevent anyone hacking your email and account , perhaps virgin need to adopt this for all virgin accounts?

It is extremely dangerous if a hacker gets control of any email address he has all your  contacts and can take over other accounts using the email for a password reset  for your other accounts, leading to fraud and id theft. I will now only use email providers with 2 step security such as gmail, outlook, yahoo.

The security of virgin could be improved easily, wonder why they do not do it? Good improved security would benefit virgin who then get less security issues and complaints from customers present and past.

Alf28

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

chris-smyth

Did you manage to get your account reset by virgin?

Wonder if they can trace who took over the account? There must be logs somewhere. There are recovery options using security question for lost password and if that fails they send a password reset to your email. Wise to have contact address different to  log in address in case of account takeover and non virgin one so you do not get locked out.

Most email providers have recovery options which include text or voice mail, recovery email address, recovery codes, last password used etc. and if that fails you can submit  a form to try to recover emails with your personal details. As you are an account holder with payed isp provider virgin then account reset after hacking should be a quick and easy process via phone (long wait time recently), chat (not often available), I think they now have a texting service or possibly via the forum via a private communication-did that work?

Also gmail as an example  sends a text alert to your mobile number every time there is a password reset so you know the account is being changed and would get that message if hacked. or attempted hack. Virgin do hold my mobile number but they do not use it for account security only maintenance alerts etc.

It should be almost impossible/hard  to hack and take over an account for criminal purposes by spammers to use, so virgin security is not the best if someone has managed to hack your account and should be investigated as well as reset. Loss of personal data through hacking is serious and you should also  change passwords on all your linked accounts to be on he safe side.

The recent data breach may have released data making it easier for hackers to hack accounts, if that is the case than virgin should provide increased security measures to beef up the virgin account security. Companies rarely admit responsibility for hacking and email is used at your own risk  so best to ensure you trust the service with your confidential data, email etc. There are  even free encryption  email service available  with good security.

The  step of introducing 2 step verification would vastly improve the virgin account/email security, all banks now use this as well as gmail, yahoo,outlook.

Where there is no 2 step  I like to use along password betwwen14 and 20 characters usually but the virgin password only has 10 characters which is reasonable but does not include even special characters, virgin maintain they put a high priority on security, if that is the case then perhaps they should make more secure so virgin could be even better as these days with millions of hackers worldwide security is a huge issue and you need trust the security of your media services and email. I think in the circumstance it is best not to use isp email but to choose more secure email. Hackers may have easier ways to get your password from your browser  if set to save passwords- (not advised) or by hacking websites via servers etc. or by placing malware on your computer. Use a good antivirus package and scan regularly. 

Change passwords regularly. Constant surveillance is needed these days as there are so many hackers operating, online can be a nightmare if it goes wrong. 

Check that your email is not hacked on the web site have I been pawned, mine was hacked multiple times .If you are hacked then you could choose another email provider.

Hope virgin sorted this one quickly for you?,  ALF28

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin have not reset the account yet. I was in conversation with "Lisa" yesterday who asked some security question but has not got back to me yet.

Thanks. Chris

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

chris_smyth

Hope you get it sorted, I looked on line and the official  Virgin media advice is to try  a password reset and change security question but not very helpful if locked out though.

I also found out Virgin money uses  a 6 digit pin sent to your mobile  for password reset so that is a more secure system but I think Since 2013, Virgin Media has been a subsidiary of Liberty Global plc which has a London base and the systems are run by them. Good luck, hope you succeed with your account  reset.

Alf28

0 Kudos