cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would VM phone customers from a mobile number?

G7RTA
Tuning in

Just had a phone call from a lady with an Indian accent, saying she was from Virgin Media.She told me that the call was being recorded.
she knew my name, & asked me to confirm the first line of my address for security reasons.
I replied “No. You  phoned me, so there’s a pretty good chance I am who I say I am… but you could be anyone. She asked again and I gave the same response.

She hung up.

The number displayed was [removed]  (I know you can’t believe caller ID’s nowadays) but would VM call from a mobile number anyway? I”m certainly not going to give any information out to someone cold calling me, unless I know 100% that they are genuine. If she was from VM then hanging up like that is totally unprofessional.  

Regards, Steve

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@G7RTA wrote:

Just had a phone call from a lady with an Indian accent, saying she was from Virgin Media.She told me that the call was being recorded.
she knew my name, & asked me to confirm the first line of my address for security reasons.
I replied “No. You  phoned me, so there’s a pretty good chance I am who I say I am… but you could be anyone. She asked again and I gave the same response.

She hung up.

The number displayed was 07757 803289  (I know you can’t believe caller ID’s nowadays) but would VM call from a mobile number anyway? I”m certainly not going to give any information out to someone cold calling me, unless I know 100% that they are genuine. If she was from VM then hanging up like that is totally unprofessional.  

Regards, Steve

Topics on here have mentioned VM agents WFH and using mobile numbers to contact customers.

You did exactly the right thing, IMO, and did not provide any info. I too find it bizarre that VM expect customers to give out security/personal info in response to a random cold call.

Would also agree that just hanging up was not a professional way for the agent to end the call.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@G7RTA wrote:

She hung up.

The number displayed was 07757 803289  (I know you can’t believe caller ID’s nowadays) but would VM call from a mobile number anyway? I”m certainly not going to give any information out to someone cold calling me, unless I know 100% that they are genuine. If she was from VM then hanging up like that is totally unprofessional.  

Regards, Steve

Topics on here have mentioned VM agents WFH and using mobile numbers to contact customers.

You did exactly the right thing, IMO, and did not provide any info. I too find it bizarre that VM expect customers to give out security/personal info in response to a random cold call.

Would also agree that just hanging up was not a professional way for the agent to end the call.

A few years back I had an account with Barclaycard. They phoned me once and the conversation started the same way. When I pointed out that he could be anyone, he agreed I was right to be cautious and started quoting a couple of things that only Barclaycard would know. (I can’t remember exactly, but I think my maximum credit limit mentioned). Now that’s the way a genuine caller should behave.

cheers, Steve

I always answer every call purporting to be from VM the same way. If they ask for my personal details, I say, "You must know those since you are calling me".
If they persist I merely say, "If I want to buy anything from you I will let you know and if something needs to be fixed, then fix it", and then put the phone down.
Only if they know enough about our account and enough about our personal details would I even begin to suspect they might actually be from VM. I dont like VM trying to sell me anything but one time I made a mistake because they were actually informing me they were sending a new hub and upgrading the speed.
I think I put the phone down twice before it dawned on me what they actually meant

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @G7RTA thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry that a possible outbound call gave you cause for concern.  I would like to take a closer look for clarity and reassurance.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R