Menu
coenoby
Super solver
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Why does VM not make this information more readily available?

I recently came across a little gem hidden away in the depths of this link: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/what-is-phishing 

You have to click on the "How do i recognise phishing emails" section of that link and up comes this clear unequivocal statement:

Virgin Media will never send an email;

• Asking for any private or personal details
  • Stating your account is set to be closed due to financial issues
  • Notifying you of an account issue which needs resolving

If there really is a problem with your Virgin Media account, we will be in touch via letter or phone. We will never take action such as closing your account after just sending an email.

At a stroke that takes care of a large proportion of the scam email queries that come up here.

Why does not VM publish that for all to see rather than post endless examples of scam emails  under the heading of  Latest Phishing News that are all minor variations on the same themes?

At the very least make it a sticky post on this board although in my view it should be made readily accessible from the main website and included in all emails that VM send out.

Strangely enough I cannot remember seeing a definitive statement like that from any VM staff member on this forum but I apologise if I missed it.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does VM not make this information more readily available?

The subject is briefly kind of covered in this sticky post

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Fraudulent-calls-amp-emails-pretending-to-be-f...

but agree that the information is much clearer in your link. A lot of the VM help information in general is not readily accessible and obvious for users or appears in duplicate places.

They could also do with improving their advice on scam and phishing calls in general as well.

I have responded recently to a few topics about automated spam calls and robo-diallers of which there seem to have been a spike in queries recently during lockdown. The default VM response to 'sign up with TPS' is useless for these kinds of calls. As far as I can see, the only service which VM offers to counter this (at a monthly cost) is anonymous call blocking which again is not really adequate for these types of calls where the incoming number is regularly spoofed.

I have put forward the use of call blockers in some recent posts which I have found to be very effective myself but, on another recent post, there was a query about how well these devices function with caller ID on the VM phone network.

VM could really do with improving their advice on this kind of security risk as well and possibly partnering with some of the hardware manufacturers to make sure their devices work reliably on the VM phone network including the upcoming 21CV service.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@goslow wrote:

The subject is briefly kind of covered in this sticky post

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Fraudulent-calls-amp-emails-pretending-to-be-f...

but agree that the information is much clearer in your link.

Yes,I know. I was trying to be polite by not referring that link. 😉 The information in their phishing link is just so much clearer.

In addition, the fact is that the sticky post does not refer to the threat that your account will be closed, or that there is an issue which needs resolving. It just refers to emails asking for VM account or bank details.

However most importantly I have never seen it explicitly stated anywhere that if there really is a problem with your Virgin Media account, VM will be in touch via letter or phone or such a clear and definitive statement that VM  will never close your account after just sending an email.

That last statement alone blows a large proportion of scam emails out of the water.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

avoiding phishing is easy. Don't be an idiot
coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:

I would rather say. "Avoiding phishing scams is easy.........once you know how to spot them."

For the cynics like us it seems easy to spot the scams but unfortunately there are many vulnerable people who do not realise that you cannot take everything they read at face value.

Virgin Media owe it to their customers to make it as easy as possible to spot scams by giving them the necessary information. That's my feeling anyway. 😒

Coenoby

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A bit harsh, apcyberax!

Coenoby's point that the VM information needs to be clearer and more widely publicised is a good one (esp. wrt the sticky post on a VM security forum!)

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There may well be lots of Help pages on the VM web site, but by the number of posts on the board, in all areas, nobody actually reads one of them. 
Users just seem to say help help it doesn’t work, fix it for me. They very very rarely do any research into their problems, just expect someone else to do it for them.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
coenoby
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

Users just seem to say help help it doesn’t work, fix it for me. They very very rarely do any research into their problems, just expect someone else to do it for them.

I agree with that but I would just make 2 points:

1) The users who have sorted their issues out by doing research on the VM web site or elsewhere obviously don't then come on the forum asking for help. So we only see those who expect their issues to be sorted by someone else which means we may have a slightly jaundiced view of VM customers. 😉

2) My point on this specific Help sheet was that the information needs to be given much higher prominence and not hidden away in the depths of a Help sheet. A relatively simple (?) thing would be for the text I quoted in my first post to be added to each email that VM send out and also added to VM's Monthly Bills.

All of the banks I deal with include an extensive section headed "Important Security Information" at the end of all their emails. The content varies from bank to bank but always contains good straight forward advice on scam emails. I don't now, but that may well be a requirement set by the FCA.

Of course, whatever VM do it is clear that some people will simply ignore the advice but that does not mean that VM do not have a responsibility to do what they can to prevent their customers getting scammed.

Coenoby

• Add to Phrasebook

• No word lists for Danish -> English...

• Create a new word list...
  • Copy
0 Kudos