Menu
NikTheGeek
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why do I have to use a 8-10 character password and no 2FA?

In 2022, it's unbelievable that I'm still forced to use a 8-10 character alpha-numeric password that could be cracked pretty easily. Why? Well, I asked the question on Twitter and got zero response despite chasing twice.

So I filled a complaint form in and got the brush off. I persisted and got the attached response in barely strung together English. What on earth is going on with Virginmedia?

FN4m16LXMAM9Kj2.pngFNfTE2-XEAETEDV.pngFNfTXBYWYAQVSrg.png

Tags (3)
rncross
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do I have to use a 8-10 character password and no 2FA?

I've asked this before and unfortunately Virgin Media want their customers to use insecure and unsafe security practices. They insist on people using weak passwords. Ideally they should allow e.g. 32 character passwords with no restrictions on characters. And attempt to get them to change and use industry standard practices, available on any good IT reference site, is met with a patronising brush off.

jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many threads on topic and no real constructive replies apart from one fool who used to try and defend it but luckily, he stopped posting years ago.

Pretty embarrassing state of affairs when free Pr0n sites have had better protection for 10+ years (at the very least).

All my passes are secure apart from 2 that are both VM's.

Screenshot 2021-11-09 145128.png

rncross
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Indeed. I notice now the moderators have stopped even bothering to try and defend this horrendous insecure practice. Its like Virgin Media *want* their customers to be hacked!

NikTheGeek
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've flagged their poor security to both the Information Commissioner and to NCSC