cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Network Computing server notification

Sreid
Joining in

I have, today, received a Virtual Network Computing server notification which, I'll be honest, I don't really understand!

I recently upgraded my Virgin Hub to V4 and I'm running it in modem mode in conjunction with my Google Nest set up.

I haven't configured any Virtual Network Computing Server (as far as I am aware!) and nothing has changed in the home network.

What I have done today, though, is connected my mobile via a cable to my new car's Apple Play.  At the time it was connected my phone would still have been connected to the home wifi network.  I understand that VNC is a remote desktop sharing protocol and Apple Play seems to be doing exactly that with the car sharing various apps and control of the phone.

Does anybody feel that might have generated the notification?

The IP address of the "VNC" started 86.11.13 and everything on my network starts 192.168.86 ... is that a red herring?

If not then I'm stuck, with the hub in modem mode the firewall is disabled and the Google Nest has a firewall (I think!) but I can't configure it to block ports as suggested in the help pages.

Any thoughts would be very gratefully received!  Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider going to the following URLs and and selecting Probe THIS Port:

If they return a status of Stealth then currently your network is not vulnerable to the issue, i.e. ports requires for VNC are not responding.

FYI: the redacted IP Address 86.11.13.nnn is likely your public IP Address,  To confirm this is the case go to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip&t=vivaldi&ia=answer and verify Your IP Address value is same as that of redacted value.

The IP Address assigned within your home network (192.168.68.nnn) are private and cannot be directly addressed / reached over the internet.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks