cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirginMedia distributing viruses!

Lil-Squabbit
Up to speed

As the title says.

VirginMedia are now distributing malicious malware/ viruses via their Telly Tablets. The viruses in question are:

• COM.WAGD.SMARTER
  • COM.WAGD.XIAOAN
  • COM.WAGD.GEM

Apparently, this is due to an infection on one of their update servers which hard codes the malware into the system software. This means that even if you do a hard reset on the device, the malicious products will be reinstalled too.

What are VirginMedia doing about this as I am sure we cant be the only people that are having this issue.

This is worrying that a major broadband supplier is letting these malware/viruses run rampant through their products. Bad form VirginMedia, bad form!

What are you going to do about this? 

...........................................................................................................
Lil-Squabbit is soooooo NOT amused!!!!
193 REPLIES 193

Lil-Squabbit
Up to speed

Hello all

Original poster of this rocket ride here! 

It would seem to me that this issue is far more widespread than I originally imagined and add to the fact, that the security issues alone should have the tech team at VM chomping at the proverbial bit but to mine and I'm sure many others disappointment, nothing seems to have been rectified. Perhaps a legal perspective may be needed here, especially, as like I said previously, it's only a matter of time before someone's accounts be it financial or personal is compromised. I am not sure that I am willing to take the risk and still use the tablet in good faith. Although, I am not even sure if I have enough 'good faith' left where VM are concerned.

The legal angle deserves a little more investigation one thinks at least then we will know where we stand?

Naomi x

...........................................................................................................

clarkey39
Dialled in

Any updates? 🤔 

@clarkey39 wrote:

Any updates? 🤔 

Unfortunately not at this time. I would check back in about 3-4 years, prehaps by then there maybe a permanent solution or at least we would have saved up enough money to buy an iPad lol

🤣🤣🤣

SalemsLady
Tuning in

Well, just got off another call. Lady told me it was an app I'd downloaded. I tried to explain to her in simple terms as she wasn't part of the tech team it turns out. But she assured me it's an app I downloaded, I assured her it wasn't.

Funny how my partner was having issues with his all of a sudden after Easter, he was trying to download Disney plus but it wasn't showing in his appstore, we put our devices together so I could look into it as I have more knowhow than he does. I noticed whilst I was looking around that my android version was older than his and required an update, I updated as normal just because I hadn't done so yet, and bam, issues and malware ever since. 

Yet I still apparenty downloaded an app to cause it. 

A quick google search of the Malware in question would have led her to all the Gigaset issues also. Which oh look, come from the system updater. It's like banging your head against a brick wall. I'm not looking forward to the tech team convo tomorrow, (After our 40 minute discussion she tells me they are closed now) probably the same outcome, yet again! 

If Gigaset can roll out a fix, why can't bloomin VM.

They've already got your money, so they won't do anything. The fact that Virgin continually increase their prices and don't tell you when you're out of contract, should tell you that they really don't care. They want your loyalty, but you won't get theirs. 

It looks like the quick fix I've done will become a long fix, until they sort it out. That'll be another year then.

All I did was reset my device, left it on all night (I probably slept off) and in the morning it was all back to normal.

Below are details of my device (sorry I am not technical), I only use this device to watch NBA games.

Kernel Version – 3.18.35 (lxg@iot-svr #1 Thu May 17 17:13:00 HKT 2018
Build Version - LF141.N0.V30.24.RC-V03
Custom built version – ROCO-2017-08-01

Hope this works for y'all.

Please pardon me, I am not technical.

I only reset my device, left it on all night because I fell asleep while trying to fix the issue and in the morning my Telly Tablet seems to perform better...

Below is the details I was able to capture from mine

Kernel Version – 3.18.35 (lxg@iot-svr #1 Thu May 17 17:13:00 HKT 2018
Build Version – LF141.N0.V30.24.RC-V03
Custom built version – ROCO-2017-08-01

Hope somebody out there finds this useful.

Check it again tomorrow and report back 🤔

It can take a day for the gremlins to come back via the system update, even if you don't feed after midnight 🙄

I've also been affected, re-set - now won't re-start - guess I'll get in the queue for a VM fix 😣