Menu
Slaverty
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin's lack of security conscience

Anyone else sick of Virgin's antique security standards when it comes to passwords?

For years (~12 now) I've been waiting on them adding support for symbols in router passwords.  Can't believe that was ever excluded, especially now they've provided an option to access the router remotely...  Not to mention the fact that when you do enter your password, it appears in PLAIN TEXT.  I hope it's at least hashed prior to being sent to the router or that's just a total joke.  Now I go to change my Virgin Media account password and I'm told that 12 digits is too long?  Given 8 is typically the minimum, some sites even pushing for 10 characters to be the minimum, how could someone think making 12 the MAXimum was a good idea? 

Virgin, you need some better employment in your security department. 

jhuk
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin's lack of security conscience

Yes and every thread made was ruined by one person (thankfully he seem non active now) who seem to feel its OK the way it is and not easy to implement even though nearly all free pr0n sites have better protection.

I have recently changed all my LastPass passwords as they were old and it nagged me to do so and my Security Test Score would be 100% but for VM's get me a low score due to them being weak, even allowing 1 special character would fix this.

Since I hope to not change them again for a long time (years) I made them all 16 characters long with 2 numbers and 2 special characters non of which ambiguous.

Also lacking is UK banks as they do not use 2 Step Verification unlike many online retailers/websites/and forums.

Slaverty
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin's lack of security conscience

Wow, I didn't even notice they don't allow special characters on your account password as well as your router password, got too distracted getting told 12 characters is too long.  Also meant to type 10 characters as being the max allowed in the first post, not 12.

Bank sign in processes do seem a bit outdated as well, but I've had emails from both mine recently stating "Big changes" coming soon to the sign in process so we can only hope.