Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media security breach

Hi having received your email telling me about the security breach I checked my bank account and noticed a unfamiliar transaction for a large amount had been taken from my account. Having contacted the company that took this money it transpires that someone has purchased a car on HP and set up a direct debit using  my bank details to do so. As far as I’m concerned the only way these details could have been obtained was through this breach of security at  Virgin media

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media security breach

The security researchers who found the open database rightly disclosed elements missing from Virgin Media's statement in their own announcement here Virgin Media Disclosure Statement. There is no mention of bank details being part of the exposed dataset.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media security breach

'As far as I’m concerned the only way these details could have been obtained was through this breach of security at Virgin media'

hundreds of thousands of people are financially scammed every week in the uk. quite often it is because of poor passwords/same used on different platforms. sometimes it's because they use the same name on different forums/social media in conjunction with the same or similar passwords. a hackers dream.

i've been an anti scammer for two decades, although the recent breach was disturbing, i've not yet seen anyone else associate financial loss with this recent security issue.

report it to action fraud. https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ although they currently have a reduced level of staffing.
0 Kudos