Menu
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin box open and vulnerable

Hi Geoff_H, 

Just to give you an update. 

These jobs are booked under 021/14480121 & 021/14480158.

We have asked the contractors for an update on when the works will be done. As soon as I have any further information I shall let you know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Geoff_H
Dialled in
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath_F

I have again checked the cabinets...

Cabinet 1 is now being held closed by a large wedge of silicon rubber sealant which has been applied to the cabinet frame to prevent the door opening. The actual lock has not been fixed. This bodge will not last long as it has been applied over flaking paintwork which will inevitably come away in a few weeks and we will be back to square one again. In any case, if work is required on the cabinet equipment, it will have to be removed to gain access.

Cabinet 2 is now completely open with the door swinging in the wind which, apart from exposing the equipment inside is in danger of hitting passers-by.

What does it take to get someone to do a proper job and fix these things?

Once again, I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall...

Local social media groups are now regularly seeing posts complaining about the reliability of the Virgin Media service and you are losing customers locally because if it. Leaving equipment cabinets open and exposed to the weather is not helping your cause - you are shooting yourselves in the foot - and no-one seems to care!!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Geoff, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this. 

I have forwarded your comments over to the relevant teams. 

Sometimes it is more appropriate to do a temporary fix whilst we plan the work and get the permits required to do a permanent fix. 

The team are aware of this though and have already planned the works. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Geoff_H
Dialled in
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath_F

Three more weeks have passed and I have again checked the cabinets...

Cabinet 1 is still being held closed by a large wedge of silicon rubber sealant.

Cabinet 2 is still open with the door swinging in the wind.

You can see why I gave up my previous attempts to get something done about them...

There are better ways of passing the time than banging my head against a brick wall... or a cabinet door.

0 Kudos
ichandler
Joining in
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I rather think the nature of the problem is revealed by the phrase "plan the work and get the permits required to do a permanent fix".  Do you really need "permits" and complicated forward planning to go and secure a couple of doors?  I can understand the forward planning in a badly run company with inadequate staffing levels - but I can't imagine who would issue the permits for Virgin to go and mend their own doors.

0 Kudos
Geoff_H
Dialled in
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi ichandler,

Indeed... If they were planning to dig up the road or pavement to lay cables or install cabinets from scratch, sure, they'd need plans, permits and permissions from the highways people, local council, etc, etc. but to mend the locks on their own equipment doesn't need any of that - and if it did, then they'd need the same to repair / replace the equipment itself inside - which they clearly don't.

My overall impression - from having tried to get this sorted numerous times before - is that someone, somewhere within VM is of the view that it just isn't important... until kids come around and unscrew all the feed cables (happened twice over the years) or the equipment gets a good soaking, malfunctions and has to be repaired or replaced (false economy).

But hey-ho I'm only a customer whose money is paying their ever increasing bills....

I used to be one of their VIP customers (full TV packs, phone, broadband), but as the charges went up the services I chose to keep went down. Having dumped the phone and cut back the TV, I'm about to dump my TV package completely which will leave only the broadband...

With streaming services becoming more and more popular there is less and less need for full-service cable TV and revenue is falling...
https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/pay-tv-revenue-falls-first-time-uk-ofcom-report-reveals/14881...

But that can't be the only reason why no-one wants to fix a couple of cabinet door locks....

0 Kudos