Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media scam call - from 01273457772

Sadly not uncommon but I just had a scam call purportedly from Virgin Media - 01273457772. They claimed there were errors being reported by my router, hence I was seeing intermittent issues with my internet speed and connectivity (which I am not). I played along until I got bored with them...

The agent passed me to her 'senior supervisor'. He in turn talked me through running 'msconfig' to look at the services running. His game was to convince me the router errors were due to the number of services running on my laptop, not that I gave him enough detail to be of any use or relevance. I challenged him at this point and ended the call. No doubt the next step would have been to enable remote access, browse to some site or download something malicious.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media scam call - from 01273457772

I've had about 6 of these calls in the last week, 2 on Saturday, when I challenged them, she told me to "shut up" and hung up. I knew exactly what they were trying to do, gain remote access to my machine, must of thought I came down in the last shower!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media scam call - from 01273457772

No use reporting the numbers these scammers use. They are all spoofed & either do not exist in the real world or are cloned from genuine businesses & households that have no idea they are being used in this way.

The only way to combat it is with a call guard system like Truecall.

Lists of number allocations on telephone exchanges are freely available online, so all the scammers do is presume you are with the provider that leases that number allocation. It’s only when you port your number to another provider that they will get it wrong.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos