Menu
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 21 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media is holding an anniversary celebration

Images may be awaiting approval in case they show personal information, or is their a failure message on uploading?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 22 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@dougm2011 wrote:

This has nothing to do with poor anti-virus or malware. I have had the same things happen over the last few days and have checked everything - this will be to do with the data breach that Virgin Media had when 900,000 plus customer details "mysteriously were compromised" including IP addresses, and now hackers have targeted websites which when your IP address matches what they have, up comes the pop-up.

The information accesed in the breach did not include IP addresses.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 23 of 38
Flag for a moderator

No one needs to know a list of IP anyone can see if you are using a VM ip address

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 24 of 38
Flag for a moderator

You could also try this: https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-free-edition/ 

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 25 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Offer

today two times my chrome takes me to offer from virgin media, I don`t know is true but people please check that. 

oczakgrzegorz_0-1588579239272.png

and link is:

https://eu.attractionsdisneyland.xyz/13bbf8cadf0be31c249bc485d037be5d/index.html?ip=82.18.177.67&sit...

it`s looks like scam, can some one check that please

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 26 of 38
Flag for a moderator

"You've won an iPhone11" message from https://elven11.prizopedia.com/

Hi, I was using Mumsnet when my screen was taken over by messages about a competition. Apparently I've won an iPhone11... Is this likely to be a Mumsnet thing, a Virgin thing, or something nasty? It came from [Removed]
Thanks for any help.Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 10.21.12.png

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 27 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: "You've won an iPhone11" message from https://elven11.prizopedia.com/

Those things usually come from a compromised ad. So it's not directly the site's fault and not Virgin Media's fault.

A good description of what is can be is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvertising
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 28 of 38
Flag for a moderator

"This has nothing to do with poor anti-virus or malware. I have had the same things happen over the last few days and have checked everything - this will be to do with the data breach that Virgin Media had when 900,000 plus customer details "mysteriously were compromised" including IP addresses, and now hackers have targeted websites which when your IP address matches what they have, up comes the pop-up."

Yeah there are so many things wrong with this post its hard to know where to start

1. its not related to the breech at all, you'll find that this popup will change which ISP it claims to be from based on the public IP of your machine as looking up which ISP owns it is trivial

2. even IF they were using the list of IP's from the breech they wouldn't have any way of knowing what sites you visit and your IP alone isn't going to give them access to your machine in order to serve you a malicious popup in the first place, they would also have to somehow have also hacked all the websites you specifically visit, and if they had gained access to that they wouldn't just be targeting you with a pretty obvious phishing popup

The main takeaway is this has nothing to do with VM, the popup will change depending on who your ISP is and a BT user will see a message saying BT is offering them a free phone, the same with TalkTalk etc, there is nothing VM specifically can do about these kinds of popups and its down to users to educate and protect themselves

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: Offer

First of all, removing the dodgy URLs from your Windows Registry seems to stop your browser being hijacked, or at least it did in my case (Microsoft Edge under Windows 10).  Since they all appear to be something-dot-xyz, search for .xyz (including the dot, since the characters xyz appear elsewhere in my Registry) and delete the entire entry.

Having done that, I then revisited some of the Web pages I'd visited recently to see if any of those triggered the problem.  Eventually I determined that visiting nanoresort-dot-com had caused the issue.  I'd visited this from a Facebook link and no errors were reported at the time.  I notice this company launched a number of advertising campaigns on the 3rd of May, so no coincidence.  I reported the Facebook page to Facebook and today it appears to have been taken down.  (There's a genuine Nano Resort page which is still up.)

Hope this helps...

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 38
Flag for a moderator

First I've heard of a data breach!  If telephone numbers were involved, this might explain a call I received apparently from 01569-685884 claiming to be Virgin Media and warning me that the Internet was due to go down the following day.  They asked for personal information but hung p when challenged.