Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media is holding an anniversary celebration

you have a virus/malware. you'll need to clean your system

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 12 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Same issue with me today. I was redirected (i.e. not a pop-up) on several occasions to https://eu.retailstocks.xyz ... "Virgin Media is holding an anniversary celebration for next 7 days" etc. The Browser Tab shows "Virgin Media" with the red Virgin Media logo.

The problem was encountered when using both MS Edge and MS Explorer to view Scotsman and Edinburgh Evening News sites. Malwarebytes didn't find anything unusual. Clearing cookies, history & cache then rebooting didn't help; same problem after restarting.
If at first you don't succeed, reboot PC or make a cup of coffee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 13 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I've had this message on two different machines today, first on my desktop and then later on my laptop that aren't networked together in any way at all.

Both machines have been scanned with Malwarebytes, a full scan by Windows 10 antivirus and a windows defender offline scan and nothing was found. Since I'm not the only one to have been caught by this the only common denominator I can think of is the virgin media server.

Do virgin media examine these reports or should I fill in some incident report to notify them.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 38
Flag for a moderator

not a VM problem.Its not a VM site or offer and its down to your own system that you are getting redirected.
So no need to fill anything out

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 15 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Why can it not be a VM problem since it is happening to multiple apparently unconnected people. The only common factor on my two machines is that they both have google as their default homepage, apart from that they have not both been visiting the same sites.

Can you offer some other explanation that I can investigate.

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 16 of 38
Flag for a moderator

These fake websites are copied into the registry (on Windows).  That's why you can't get rid of them.  Chances are (and in my experience) that is what's happened.  This is fairly straightforward to do, although it may yield nothing, or simply not work; depending on what modifications the browser hijacker has made.  It's still worth a try.  Please note that if you delete anything from the registry, it may stop your computer from working properly.  If you're a new user (or lack confidence; read up on it!), ask someone who understands this procedure to do it for you.

1. Press Windows+R
  2.  This should bring up the Run dialog box up
  3.  rundialog.jpg
  4. Type "regedit" in the Open box
  5. Click "Yes" on the UAC authorisation box
  6. Registry window should then open
  7. regedit.jpg
  8. Go to Edit on the toolbar then Find
  9. findbox.jpg
  10. Type the dodgy url into the box above making sure all the boxes are ticked; this will make sure everything is looked at.
  11. Click on "Find Next" 
  12. If found, delete the entries by right clicking on them and select Delete.
  13. Repeat the above 2 steps until all found entries are removed. 
  14. Close the Window and reboot the computer.  Hopefully that should do it.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 38
Flag for a moderator

URLs all seem to something-dot-xyz, so look for xyz.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I don't believe this has anything to do with malware or virus infected computers. I have always run and used excellent virus software protection systems, and this started happening a few days ago to myself.

I have run Malwarebytes today, cleared Firefox cache, stored history etc and it came up again. Also checked regedit and being on top of things, this is not to do with browser hijacks.

This goes back to the data breach where customers IP addresses where compromised, and then hackers have attacked websites, and using scripts designed to make the pop-up happen when someone triggers the script on websites that match their IP address. Lucky old Virgin got out of this sh!t because of Covid-19 but not ALL OF US can have crap anti-virus so it must be something else.

PS - Checked computer with Norton, Malwarebytes, Regedit, Cleared cache and history on browser, and also ran CCleaner. No virus or malware found! Doesn't give me any confidence in Virgin Media when their own website is not SECURE on their own homepage either. Joke!

screenshot.4281.jpgscreenshot.4282.jpgscreenshot.4283.jpgscreenshot.4284.jpgscreenshot.4286.jpg

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 38
Flag for a moderator

This has nothing to do with poor anti-virus or malware. I have had the same things happen over the last few days and have checked everything - this will be to do with the data breach that Virgin Media had when 900,000 plus customer details "mysteriously were compromised" including IP addresses, and now hackers have targeted websites which when your IP address matches what they have, up comes the pop-up.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Which for some reason I cannot upload the images on this forum but this not malware.

0 Kudos