Menu
THewlett08
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media broadband potential Scam Call

I suspect that this is a scam but please could somebody verify that Virgin Media would NOT usually contact a customer via an automated phone call to say that their 'Internet' will be cut off in 24 hours? Would Virgin Media have to contact the customer in writing first to cease a service?

Using the word 'Internet' rather than 'Broadband' sounds suspicious to me also?

My 90 year old mother, who is extremely vulnerable at the moment caring for my terminally ill father, has received two such phone calls, one yesterday and one today at roughly the same time 10am in the morning threatening to cut of the broadband.

She is concerned because they have their Broadband, TV and Phone as one package/direct debit monthly and was extremely concerned that her phone/'Life Line' at the moment would be cut off too!

The first call unfortunately came in at the same time as the doctor was there so she didn't understand/comprehend the full message, but rang 1471 to get the number which was 01271 3859264 I believe. The second call was this morning, different number 01245 124426.

The first call she thinks suggested the reason for cutting off was for lack of use, the second call asked her to press 1 on her phone to speak to someone – she unfortunately did this but she said nothing happened!

I live offshore not where my parents live, so I have tried to call VM's Customer Services direct to check that there isn't a problem with their account, which we're sure there isn't, but unfortunately because we do not have the password for the account (my father dealt with this and we do not know the password) I came to a dead end on the automated call system and couldn't find a way to speak directly will a customer service assistant.

I also checked out the phone numbers the calls come from – Barnstaple, Devon and Chelmsford?

I have advised her to just put the phone down and don't respond if they call again.

If anyone could put our minds at rest I would really appreciate this.

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media broadband potential Scam Call

Scam call, don't give out any information to the caller and don't respond to any request to "press 1".

Just put the phone down - broadband will still work and you won't be cut off.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi THewlett08 

We will send you a private message and look in to the account

Chris 

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm surprised to learn that Virgin Media may be using automated calls which state that broadband services will be cut off in 24 hours, without providing further information or instruction.

I'm more than surprised to learn that they may also use automated calls which require the recipient to "press 1" to speak to someone about the issue.

As both these procedures are already used by scammers in attempts to compromise accounts, or connect them to premium account numbers, it seems highly unlikely that VM would also be using them.

But if Virgin Media have to "look into the account" to determine if a call came from them, perhaps they are.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

100% scam.
I’ve received these in the past purporting to come from ‘my ISP’ or ‘your internet provider’, stating out internet will be disconnected due to illegal activity or due to malware or something else & to press 1 to continue or 2 to speak to a ‘technician’.

We purchased a call blocking phone which sorted that out.

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Anankha wrote:

100% scam.
I’ve received these in the past purporting to come from ‘my ISP’ or ‘your internet provider’, stating out internet will be disconnected due to illegal activity or due to malware or something else & to press 1 to continue or 2 to speak to a ‘technician’.

We purchased a call blocking phone which sorted that out.

The point I was trying to make I obviously did not make clearly enough. Sorry.

You know it was a scam call, I know it was a scam call, but somehow Virgin Media have to "look into the account" and reply by private message before they can respond.

The inference there is that they do use automated calls. Calls which may include suggestions that an internet connection may be shut down or an instruction to "press 1" to speak to someone, and they have to check if they did in fact make such an automated call.

Virgin Media should be in a position to immediately denounce such calls as scams, tell their customers not to respond in any way to them, and without having to check accounts first. 

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I know the point you were trying to make Sololobo, and it made me smile!

But at the same time I understood Chris_W1's post to be showing concern for vulnerable customers by making sure their account is all in order and perhaps flagging the vulnerable status, suggesting ways the offspring can assist the account holder in future requirements, etc.

(In contrast to posts in the past where forum staff may have said - you are not the customer, go away, MYOB)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

graygrey
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes All automated phone call to say that their 'Internet' will be cut off in 24 hours, are SCAMS

Some claim to be from BT, or even Ofcom or other internet providers

Tha's the whole point of these Fake calls, they are internet providerFishing (Phishing) for information, as the so called advisors have No idea who is responding or even what internet provider you are using, unless you tell them!

There are a wide selection of other Scams that use the auoto- dial pre-recored message, including Fake calls from Banks!

With those message, there will be No actual bank name mentioned. Because they Don't Know, as they are Not anything to do with Banks!

0 Kudos
dianaww
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So glad a call blocker phone helped you ... I’ve just been looking at them, one had great sound quality but only blocks 15 numbers, we’ve had 3 different ones call us today ... we had 2 calls yesterday and 3 today,  it don’t want to change our number .. I may get one that blocks more numbers and link a different brand dect phone to it ... then get withheld numbers blocked too .. I hope your calls have stopped now 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I posted a while back about the experience of setting up a trueCall unit here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Nuisance-Calls/m-p/4324071#M136451

Devices which block individual numbers are not much use because the caller ID numbers are typically faked and change for each call. You need a device which 'screens' calls automatically then decides which to block.

Post back if you need further info. on the above.

0 Kudos