Menu
oksamurai
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Security Alert Letter and Problems Resolving Issue

Recently unable to login to my email account and then received a letter by post this week explaining my email account had been temporarily locked due to an automatic forwarding rule set up on the account which Virgin Media believes was set up by a third party and not me.

I followed all the instructions on the letter to unlock the account, including creating a new password. At first when I tried to access my account I would get the error message mailbox unavailable, now there is just a forbidden message when I attempt to access my mailbox.

Already rang Virgin Media technical helpline about the matter, the assistant reset my password again over the phone and I was informed to try access my email account again in 45 minutes with new password. I did as instructed still same forbidden message. Now technical helpline is closed for the day.

Anyone else had this problem, or any idea how to resolve it. I need access to my mailbox as due to working from home all my work related emails go to that email address. What an absolute pain !

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Security Alert Letter and Problems Resolving Issue

Hi there @oksamurai

Welcome to our Community and for your first post - I was sorry to understand that you've been having some issues with your emails even after you have attempted to reset your password. 

I was able to locate your account and I can see that you have since been in touch and an IT ticket has already been raised for the issue. We do advise that this can take around 5 working days but usually this is much quicker. 

Please feel free to keep us posted. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-temporarily-locked

We'll restore access to your account within 24 hours.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-account-is-locked

Don’t worry, it’s really easy to get everything back to normal. You don’t even have to pick up the phone!

If it's really so easy, why will it take 5 days?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this @Sololobo - some very helpful information for other users who may be impacted. 

The issue @oksamurai has does require the IT ticket to be raised on this occasion. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It would appear that an email account, locked by Virgin Media for "security purposes", when unlocked by Virgin Media causes a 403 Forbidden error message, which then requires an IT ticket to be raised to resolve.

VM's email account unlocking process seems to be making what should be a fairly straightforward procedure into a real SNAFU.

Sadly the OP is not alone in this situation.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
oksamurai
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Guys just a quick update, I'm pleased to confirm I now have access to my mail box. It would appear in case anybody else is affected by this issue in the future, if when you try to reset your password and you receive the 403 Forbidden message when logging into your account with the new password you will need to ring Virgin Media and explain the problem. They need to fix the problem internally as there does not appear anything you can do on your end to resolve it. In case anyone was wondering after speaking to the technical department it was an hour before I could access my mailbox again with the new password.

Hope this post helps someone in future.

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update oksamurai,

Really pleased to hear you have your emails back up and running. Also thanks for letting our other community members know what you had to do to get this issue resolved.

If you have any further issues please come back to us through this channel.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos