Menu
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Pop-up survey

@iben1905 wrote:

It is nothing to do with Virgin Media as you will see exactly the same discussions using other ISP's such as BT.

It is a phishing scam that is triggered  when accessing a particular website.

This kind of scam has been going on across the board for years and has never been linked to any specific ISP.

However,as far as I can recall this is the first time that VM have intimated that they are in a position to "remove" it. That does suggest this one is different.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re Coenby

I think you are reading far too much into the wording of a reply.

As I said I have had a qualified cyber security professional look at the actual coding of this phishing scam and he assures me it has absolutely nothing to do with the ISP be that Virgin Media, BT or whoever.  Nor has it anything to do with the device or browser it occurs in.

Clearly it is in the interests of all ISPs to close down such phishing scams and I believe that is what the wording "remove it" is intended to mean rather than anything to do with it having been caused by Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Should have added to my previous reply that if you look at the code of a phishing scam then you can see the source and actions can then be taken  to block it through blacklisting, websafe software etc.

In this particular case as the phishing scam is implanted in a web page they can also contact the legitimate webpage owner and get them to remove it.

Not that any of this really solves the problem as the scammers will simply infiltrate someone else's web page to implement the same scam.

As a simple rule if anything looks too good to be true it is a scam!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

For those who don't realise IP addresses are public information.

Just  type "My IP Address" into Google or whatever search engine of your choice and it will show it.

Similarly type lists of Virgin Media IP addresses into your search engine and will give websites with lists of all of them.

So you don't need to have hacked  VM or trawled the Dark Web to present a phishing pop up in your browser with your IP address on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

you can get a lot of info from someone when they just access a page.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I seem to get this after i visit the daily mail website mail on sunday website.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

This is an extract from a BBC News article from 3 years ago which explains how the scam is set up.  It relates to a computer infected ransonware type scam, but the principle is the same for the anniversary survey pop up.

• Big ad networks allow users to win ad space on websites by bidding at a particular price
  • Criminals are taking advantage of this to place adverts which are infected with a single "bad" pixel
  • This pixel can redirect users and infect them in the background when they are browsing on a perfectly legitimate site - they do not even need to click on the ad
  • The malware in the ad redirects users to a website in the background - invisible to the user - which checks their computer and discovers their IP address
  • From the IP address it is easy to find out which ISP owns which IP address
  • Victims will be served a pop-up tailored for their specific ISP which warns them their computer is infected and gives them a number to call
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@iben1905 wrote:

Re Coenby - I think you are reading far too much into the wording of a reply.

..................I believe that is what the wording "remove it" is intended to mean rather than anything to do with it having been caused by Virgin Media.

LOL, actually you are reading way too much into my reply.

I did not mean to suggest and (for the record) I certainly do not believe that it was caused by VM. I just made the point this was the first time that I am aware of a comment  from VM that they would look to remove it.

I am well aware of how these scams work, they have been around for years. VM's advice in the past has always been that users should take the necessary steps to disable pop windows from opening by default and removing suspicious plug ins and extensions from their browsers as well as checking their devices for malware.

You could say it was a case of "it's your problem to sort it out not ours" so Emily_G's intervention was an excellent and welcome response.

Closing down the websites that scammers set up for their illegal activities is a big step to protecting the public. Unfortunately it does not solve the problem because scammers always set up a new one and carry on.  😮

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@iben1905 wrote:

This is an extract from a BBC News article from 3 years ago which explains how the scam is set up.  It relates to a computer infected ransonware type scam, but the principle is the same for the anniversary survey pop up.

• This pixel can redirect users and infect them in the background when they are browsing on a perfectly legitimate site - they do not even need to click on the ad

Not since ReBoot has a Pixel had such power

Use of a privacy preserving web browser can help in blocking such content.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

RE: Coenoby

I think you will find these days that every major company has a cyber security team.

Certainly VM have a large cyber security team.

And every identified scam using their company name will go to that team and they will endeavour to close it down.

So if you find a phishing scam send it to the real company.

Also send it to the government's National Cyber Security Centre     https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/

But the problem is exactly the same as scam phone calls you can close down one source but they simply switch doing exactly the same scam operating from another source. And the scammer is very unlikely to be based in the UK and physically traceable.

So something you have to live with, but if an offer looks amazing it is probably a scam.

0 Kudos