Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Pop-up survey

How do I stop a pop-up to take part in a Virgin Media Survey.  I didn't take part as I know it's a scam!

It comes on screen every few seconds and I really want rid of it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Pop-up survey

Sounds like you have malware or a browser hijack. Reset your browser settings.

Can you post a screen shot of the popup

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

If this message is via your browser only then yes it is suspicious, for Edge you should backup your favourites then close Edge, either by clicking on the X, by ctrl, alt del & then open task manager & find Edge entry & click on this & choose end task.
Then open Edge & it will offer to start afresh, you can then clean the browser’s cache, cookies & history.
If this isn’t enough you can reset Edge by Right-click on the Start button in the lower-left corner and select “Apps and Features“.
Scroll through the list until you find “Microsoft Edge”, click it, and then click on the “Advanced options” link.
Next, click on the “Reset” button.

Similar for other browsers except you’d not be able to reset it.

You can also use an adblocker to prevent these scams from showing - I would recommend AdGuard browser extension/add-on or Ghostery.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Try Malwarebytes to check your PC and clean out any malware that is generating the pop ups:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting these also, they aren't Malware. I have started receiving them on my phone as well as my PC (which I have recently rebuilt so it's clean) It's like they are some sort of DNS redirect or something. It's something VM should investigate. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

they will be down to infected sites/browsers. YOu should clean he PC and phone to stop then

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@velo84 wrote:

I'm getting these also, they aren't Malware. I have started receiving them on my phone as well as my PC ....... It's something VM should investigate. 

As apcyberax has said they can be the result of infected websites not just malware on the device itself.

It would be worth taking a look at this. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-surveys 

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the posts, we're currently aware of this and have raised it to the team for further investigation to remove this.

Thanks, Emily.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

" to remove this."

So are you confirming this is a Virgin Media problem. Going to need more details on this

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

If you look at the community this has been mentioned a number of times over the last few months.

It is nothing to do with Virgin Media as you will see exactly the same discussions using other ISP's such as BT.

It is a phishing scam that is triggered  when accessing a particular website.

If you are brave, or foolish, enough to follow it through the end screen will ask you for your card details to pay £1 for the iphone you've won, with of course everyone being a winner.

I had a cyber security professional look at it and he assures me it is not related to malware on the device but is a rogue link embedded in a corrupted pixel within the website that you were in when it was triggered.

0 Kudos