Menu
kencreer
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Billing Scam

I have received this email today it is obviously a scam and I have checked that there is nothing wrong with my payments but feel that security and other customers should be aware.

Ken C

Copy Of Scam Email

Dear @blueyonder.co.uk, 

The payment for your latest Virgin Media bill was declined. The billing details associated with your account have expired recently. our service is pending disconnection on: 

30 March, 2019 

Please click below to access and update your billing details now, so that we may retry the payment for your bill: 

[Removed]

Kind regards, 

The Virgin Media team

[Mod Edit - Removed phishing link]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Billing Scam

VM are aware of this and the Internet Security team posted a warning about it this morning: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-28-03-2019/m-p/3963074#M3...

jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Neighbourhood Watch Logo
Action Fraud (NFIB)
Message Type Icon
Scam Warning - Fake Virgin Media Emails

PLAIN TEXT:

Fraudsters send fake Virgin Media emails threatening “automatic disconnection”

Action Fraud has received over 100 reports about fake emails that purport to be from Virgin Media. The emails threaten the recipient with “automatic disconnection” due to “invalid billing information”. The links in the emails lead to genuine-looking phishing websites that are designed to steal your Virgin Media account login details.

Don’t click on the links or attachments in suspicious emails, and never respond to messages that ask for your personal or financial details.

For more information on how to stay secure online, visit www.cyberaware.gov.uk 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for this! 

If you can follow this link here this will give you any needed guidance that we provide for our customers.

if you could also help us out by forwarding this to the E-Mail address within the link we can help customers further 

David_Bn 

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@David_Bn wrote:

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for this! 

If you can follow this link here this will give you any needed guidance that we provide for our customers.

if you could also help us out by forwarding this to the E-Mail address within the link we can help customers further 

When this fails, with a "Message could not be sent to the following recipients: - Message contains Spam Content", what then?

David_Bn 

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sololobo,

Thanks for the response.

Rather than forwarding the E-Mail directly, it may be worth sending a screen shot of the spam bill or request and attaching that to a brand new E-Mail.

Apologies, should have stated that in the original message,

Any further problems, let me know

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry Dave

The email team SHOULD have set up a whitelist so that sending these mails on to phishing@virginmedia.com is allowed.  I would also note that these mails need to be forwarded AS ATTACHMENTS in order to preserve the header information. 

Forwarding them inline means that those headers are lost as the user is in affect incorporating ONLY the email body into a new email.  So vital tracking information is lost.  Sending a screen grab is worthless as the security team cannot see the links.

So to answer @Sololobo's question - if they are still getting Spam found when trying to forward one of these messages to ANY reporting address, then you guys would need to pass this up the chain to the email team so they can make deal with the whitelist.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Whilst I have no quarrel with the points raised by Ravenstar68, this thread does seem to have drifted.

The op posted about a recent phishing email. I replied pointing the op and others to an earlier post by the VM security team warning of this scam.

Subsequently jpeg1 reposted a warning from Action Fraud about the same scam.  I received the same warning from Action Fraud and considered copying it here, but didn't as it had already been raised by VM.  Subsequent posts seem to have deflected readers away from the substantive warning re the original threat.

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The subsequent posts to which you refer were made in direct reply to post #4.

I would suggest not so much a deflection from the original issue, much more like a natural development of the conversation.

The original warning regarding a phishing threat still remains forefront in the thread but now contains further information on how to correctly report/forward similar threats while maintaining initial header information.

Surely that's a win - win situation?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A learning opportunity for all the community, both new and long term members.