Menu
syrupblaze
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Alert: gumblar

I received an alert from internet-security@virginmedia.com today stating:

To protect our customers, we work with a number of not-for-profit organisations that gather information about internet connections that appear to be at risk of things like malware infections. On 02 October 2020, one detected that gumblar , a piece of malware, was present on a device using your internet connection.

How can I get more information about what triggered this detection? What time was it, what URLs were involved etc?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Alert: gumblar

Issue flagged to the forum team as they are best placed to take this forward however be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi syrupblaze

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

The notes on the system just refer you to the letter received and how to resolve this. Have you ran malware scans on your devices?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
syrupblaze
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I want to know what triggered the alert so I can take the appropriate action on my home network. 

You must have a log of what network traffic caused the alert? Who do I contact to get more detail or do I need to submit a SAR to obtain this?

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me. I've asked a colleague to see if we can get this information for you. I'll respond back when I have further information. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, have you got an F00 number from the letter?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
syrupblaze
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me.

I’ve PM’d you the reference number. 

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me @syrupblaze

I've forwarded it that to a colleague for their assistance and I'll be in touch with you when I know more

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Safinn
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

this email warning has been mentioned quite a few times.  Not once has anyone identified on these forums if it is a scam email or a genuine warning. Why are the mods not reporting back publicly on here?  Can anyone help with an answer?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

its more likey they do not know. they will just be passed an IP address from a security company and then they send the letter.
They can't see any traffic as ISP are not allowed to monitor traffic to that level. DPI would be very illegal.

So I'm not sure what you can hope to get from VM.

Scan your device something on your IP address triggered it
0 Kudos