Menu
jackjt8
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a malware infection

I have permission from the account holder to look into this issue as we have followed all the steps outline on virginmedia.com/networkattacks only to receive another email alert. As no particular Malware is listed and there is no information regarding the type of traffic, timestamps, etc. for said malicious traffic we are at a loss as to the cause.

The only idea we have is that it may be caused by 3CX which we have running on a Raspberry Pi; in addition to Pi-Hole.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
oldshipbuilder
Dialled in
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a malware infection

I have also had an email from VM about malware. I have scanned with Norton and nothing is showing. I can remember a few nights ago getting a Norton warning saying they had stopped an attack.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi oldshipbuilder, thanks for the message, I will send you a PM to look in to this further for you. Chris. 

0 Kudos
jackjt8
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Received another email with the same message.

Unfortunately Chris_W1 seems to be a chat bot/AI which broke down after a few messages of repeating the same stuff I had already said we had covered. Can't seem to get that bot reset so we are still at square one.

We still do not have any information on what packets are tripping the detection system.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jackjt8,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. 

Can you explain what the 3rd party equipment is that you mentioned please? Such as the 3CX and Raspberry PI and PI Hole?

Thanks, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
jackjt8
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

A Raspberry Pi is just a SBC- A small computer...

Pi-Hole is a DNS that blocks advertisement, tracking, and some other traffic on the network.

The main suspect we have is 3CX as that would be the only piece of software that would communicate outwards: 3CX is a software-based private branch exchange (PBX) based on the SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) standard. It enables extensions to make calls via the public switched telephone network (PSTN) or via Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services. 3CX for Windows, Linux, and Raspberry Pi[1] is an IP business phone system that supports standard SIP soft/hard phones, VoIP services and traditional PSTN phone lines. - While it may typically be used for businesses we have a system in place for home use.

0 Kudos
oldshipbuilder
Dialled in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have received 2 separate identical letters from VM dated 14 Dec again informing me that one of my devices may be infected with malware. I am getting fed up with this now. I have Norton 360 protecting my devices and I have ran Malwarebytes which didn't find anything.

Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am really sorry about this @oldshipbuilder

Have you followed the steps that were advised on the letter?

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
oldshipbuilder
Dialled in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

As I have already told you I have Norton 360 and it blocked two attempts a few weeks ago and then I started getting VM emails and letters. I have used Malwarebytes adw cleaner and it found nothing suspicious. I also use CCleaner regularly.

0 Kudos
oldshipbuilder
Dialled in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

At the same time as the VM emails started I have also got lots of McAfee expiring emails. I haven't had McAfee for a lot of years. Something is very odd about all of this.

0 Kudos