Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMIS159 Suspicious Activity

SimonRz
Joining in

Hi

I've received the following email from VM:

Firstly I want to check this is genuine.

It cetainly seems to be, as trying to access VM emails on my phone I now get the message 'forbidden'.

However, access to VM emails via my desktop is fine.

Assuming the email is genuine I've tried & failed to follow these steps. In order to generate a new App password, I'm told to change my email address (very strange). Having done that I click to verify the new address.At the next step VM states I've not verified the new address. Having verified 5 times, I give up!

VM Team, please help sort this out (BTW the Help & COntact Us buttons a the bottom of the email are both duds)

Thanks

Our reference: VMIS159-SUSPICIOUS_ACTIVITY-F011031648

Your Virgin Media email account may be compromised and you need to take action

Dear ...,

You have received this email as one or more of your Virgin Media mailboxes has recently been locked due to suspicious activity being detected.

It is important that you:

a. Do a full virus scan on your device with up-to-date anti-virus software

b. Reset your MyVM password to something new, unique to this account and secure.
c. To unlock your mailbox, please go to Account settings. Then click the Virgin Media Mail settings tile. Next, click Generate new App password. Your account should then be accessible
d. If using an email client, ensure you update the settings with the new App Password
e. If you notice any suspicious activity or have any concerns about your primary mailbox or additional mailboxes, please contact us at abuse@virginmedia.com

After resetting your password, your mailbox will automatically be unlocked after 15 minutes.

Please ensure that the above points have been completed to prevent your mailbox from being locked again.

More help and support

For extra advice, or to double-check that this is a genuine Virgin Media communication, head to our community at virginmedia.com/community, click 'Help forum' and join the conversation on the Security Matters board.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

2 REPLIES 2

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @SimonRz 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the mishap with the email communication

I'll drop you a private message now to double check some details to ensure all is OK on your end 🙂 Keep an eye on your inbox for a message from myself

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

SimonRz
Joining in

Travis, thanks for confirming the message is genuine. But, as I said in my opiginal post, the VM solution doesn't work.

Please help me fix the problem!