Menu
Jomodu
Up to speed
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM coffee and cake offer....a scam?

I received a phone text message today from VM (?) offering me a free coffee and cake on them at any Cafe Rouge outlet. The message provided a link to VM to receive a voucher. And details how to stop receiving offer details in future from VM on my phone eg type NO to a 5 or 6 digit number.

As I have never received any VM offers of upgrades or special offers via ipad/phone or mobile ever during my 20 years of being a customer, including 10 as a VM mobile user I took this to be a scam. I checked but have never ticked the box to not receive marketing emails etc.

I deleted the text - it had left out the odd word or two, so didn’t read correctly in one or two places. 
But it looked convincing. Is it for real? Has anyone received a similar email? 

teabag
Superstar
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM coffee and cake offer....a scam?

Would say it was s scam by the bad wording you mention, plus you would text "STOP" to stop receiving  - not NO as advised.

I would have added the number to my block list before deleting.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jomodu, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Sorry to hear that this text has caused you some concern, I can appreciate why. 

I've had a look and it seems to be that this is a valid offer and was through our Virgin Red app, is this an app you have?

The deal is for a free coffee and cake at either Bella Italia or Cafe Rouge and you would need the voucher to redeem this. 

However I appreciate the feedback regarding the message and how it came across. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
philct
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Since it's not a scam can you arrange for someone to resend the message with a correct URL? The one I received just gave a 404 error.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you go into the app does it mention the offer? 

Emma_C - Forum Team
philct
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don't have the Red app installed. This offer came via a text message and the URL is

virginmedia.com/virginreddeals

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Philct, 

I've had a closer look and the offer ended on Friday. 

The deal should only be available to those using the Virgin Red app and if the URL didn't work we were advising customers to go into the app and verify the account and they would have been able to get the voucher from there. 

Sorry that you missed out. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
Jomodu
Up to speed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for explanation. Cannot be too careful these days. Sorry missed out on free coffee.

Haven’t a clue why I got the offer as no knowledge of Red app and never downloaded or knew it existed. Strange marketing.