Menu
Shanehayes7
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM - Malware found on device

Hi,

Recently I received an email to say that via 3rd party VM had become aware a device I am using may have malware. This email looked like spam so I deleted it. A few days has passed now and I have recieved a letter stating the same thing, now my ears have pricked up.

Firstly, I must point out how unhelpful this letter is, it give you a couple of links to VM websites that aren't very helpful and you are told to fix it or we might cut you off so thanks for the help there virgin!

Anyhow, not wanting to be cut I would like to get the bottom of this and identify the device, all laptops, computers and phones are running Bitdefender security with nothing flagged on any of them. We have some internet devices like smart TVs, alexas and wireless CCTV which I suspect it maybe one of those.

Has anyone had this before, the very little detail virgin give about the problem means there isn't alot I feel I can do about it.  

0 Kudos
psbhurst
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM - Malware found on device

I am also having the same issue. Second letter now. VM have been told by a Third Party that malicious traffic is coming from a device using your internet connection. We don't know which device this is.

Fine you don't know what device. Who is the Third Party?, How about a date/time of an incident?, the destination of the malicious traffic?, ports? protocol? Anything at all to narrow it down.

I have quite extensive logging on my network but without anyway of narrowing down it is useless. I have ran antivirus and malware scans on all devices and nothing has shown.

Previous posts regarding letters seem to have given more info regarding the name of the malware or type of attack. Threatening to suspend customers if they do not fix an issue that VM itself is apparently not even able to detect, seems harsh.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Shanehayes7

Welcome back to our Community, sorry that our email came across as spam; these are quite a standard email that is sent to customers when an issue has been detected. Of course, we also send a letter out encase the customer has been unable to read the email due to the issues stated in the letter. 

I can only apologise that you found the information provided not to be helpful. We have a dedicated webpage that explains the malware in more detail - I have linked it below for you

Malware Alert

As long as you have followed the advise listed then there is no reason  to feel concerned. 

We are made aware of these issues via the third parties for port scanning activity. They are not able to see what device the possible infection has come from; just the IP address associated with it. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Shanehayes7
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If I'm brutally honest, I don't think the malware information webpage is an use whats so ever! 

I've received another email this morning telling me a device is still affected, I've been through every device and all the protocol that was advice on the information page, what else am I meant to do?

The fact that you can't get in touch with VM Internet security team isn't helpful either. Just feel like you are left I'm limbo with no help from VM apart from them threatening to terminate your contract! 

0 Kudos
Shanehayes7
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie,

Please can we get this investigated further, even getting some more details for your third party. I've now received a 3rd email telling me a device is infected and after conducting a large amount of tests and security scans we can't locate an infected device on our network.

I think VM need to be prepared to help investigate further rather than just threaten to disconnect services.

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shanehayes7,

Thanks for your reply I am sorry to hear this which 3rd party are you referring to? 

Zoie

0 Kudos
Shanehayes7
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The same 3rd party that VM reference in there letters/emails.

It just mentions a 3rd party, no name, no details

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry about this, all we can advise is that you follow the advice on the letter, 

Zoie

0 Kudos