Menu
iconoculture31
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Unwanted Virgin equipment

Have bought a property a previous owner had provisioned by Virgin Media.

Am with another provider & want rid of Virgin cabling, external & internal equipment, fittings, etc.

How do I have them do this, or do I simply disconnect & recycle as appropriate myself? 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unwanted Virgin equipment

There have been quite a number of posts about this issue recently. Best summary answer from those is here IMHO

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Removal-of-old-external-cabling-and-box/m...

VM may offer to tidy up cables outside, esp. if they are a health and safety problem. Posting some pictures may help if that is so.

Leaving the outside cabling and box in place is probably a better bet as it gives future options if the cable ever needed to be put back into use. Things change with different suppliers and the VM cable may be useful in the future as an alternative to an Openreach provider.

0 Kudos
iconoculture31
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, goslow
from the image in the post you linked to, I would prefer to be rid of everything (outside cabling, box, all internal gubbins) within the boundaries of my property.
I'm no electrical engineer, so some of the words in that post were alien to me.
How will I know if this a problem?
I have rung Virgin Media twice. Each time I called, the two call centre agents cut me off after saying, inappropriately IMHO, "I don't think you're listening" (after being unable to locate address!) & "you're not trusting me" (after I requested a reference to uniquely identify the call).
It appeared to me that they are limited to spending no more than 20 minutes per caller, so after having spent 3/4 of an hour am hesitant (not being a gambler, don't believe in '3rd time lucky'!
BTW new provider is NOT openreach (thank heavens!)
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Can't tell you too much more than the above. If you think you have a health and safety problem with the outdoor cables then post up some photos which might help those from the VM forum team decide what to do.

In some of the other topics, they have offered to tidy up dangerous cables outside but the past responses have generally been that they won't come to remove them.

Wait for a VM forum team member to respond on here. They normally reply within a week or so but are usually quicker than that.

0 Kudos
iconoculture31
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks & understood, Goslow
Cannot realistically claim H&S; as with OP in linked post, primary objection is unsightliness, secondarily wanting as few holes through external walls as possible.
If Virgin Media won't remove, what I need to know is how to obtain a legally binding document confirming that Virgin Media abrogate all ownership of, & responsibility for, any equipment installed by them within the boundaries of my property both externally & internally.
This will allow me to remove & appropriately recycle anything I (& they) no longer want.
Looking forward to reading a VM forum team member's response.
Thanks to your managing my expectation, Goslow, am not holding my breath 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

VM will not remove anything. you can disconnect anything upto the omni box on the outside but you shouldn't remove or modify anything before that point.

Once installed VM will not remove it and it remains VM property. they had permission to install that was handed to your with the deeds to the house. just remove any internal cables upto the outside box and leave that as is
0 Kudos
iconoculture31
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Apcyberax,
Thanks. Feel I should point out here that besides not being an electrical engineer, I have never been an NTL/Telewest/VirginMedia customer.
So, not having the foggiest what an Omnibox is, and mindful of property law obliging me to obtain absolute clarity on this point, I need contact with the competent authority within Virgin Media or their retained lawyers, because:-
1. Upon taking possession of the deeds to what's now my property, no permission such as that you helpfully & kindly mention was received.
2. All I've been able to find out from Virgin so far is that the previous owner's last tenant was a customer (only managed that from knowing their name, no forwarding address, so a dead-end as far as obtaining said permission's concerned).
3. AFAIK, without explicit permission having been sought & granted, Virgin cannot install its cables or other equipment inside or outside within the boundaries of anybody's property (though have not searched case law on this, so stand to be corrected)
Having read your useful comments, am grateful for your reply Apcyberax.
Expect I'll have to await what Goslow suggested may happen eventually, i.e. a response from a VM forum team member, because referring my OP to a Moderator has so far failed to prompt any reaction.

This might also be the time to mention that my 2nd 'phone contact with VM (the one terminated when I requested unique call identifier reference) had reached the point where a Call Centre Manager had, according to the Agent/Call Handler, confirmed VM's agreement for me to be able to remove all their equipment within the boundaries of my property, which I was told needn't be returned to them.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

flagging posts to mods are used for reporting posts against the forum rules. It will not be read by VM tech staff.

Staff on here take up to a week to reply. you just need to wait for a reply
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:
VM will not remove anything. you can disconnect anything upto the omni box on the outside but you shouldn't remove or modify anything before that point.

Once installed VM will not remove it and it remains VM property. they had permission to install that was handed to your with the deeds to the house. just remove any internal cables upto the outside box and leave that as is

the above is wrong afaik - i am not 100% up to date with house sales but as of a year or so ago there was no mention in house deeds or searches of  BB installations - the only reference is was a telephone line installed - yes/no 

as to being an electrician - its data that passes through the coax not voltage 

there is no policy of what to do by VM - it all seems to be down to what the staff person replying THINKS

this is an answer from earlier today https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Virgin-box-and-wires-outside-my-property/m-p/4685298#M176415

in simple terms to the question of removal of cables etc it states you can do what you want or think appropriate - your decision - not a good answer from them imo

Tony
iconoculture31
Tuning in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Good evening Tony,
& thanks, can now see what Goslow meant when writing about other Community Members facing same/similar issues (angelagatto, Tony's linked post, being a case in point).
Thanks also for your opinion of the permission aspect, let's see what VM Forum Team member(s) write on that point.
Forgive me if "electrical engineer" is not the appropriate qualification, only goes to show the extent to which am a tyro myself when it comes to this subject.
Grateful for your stating VM have no policy, with decisions seeming to be down to individual VM staff discretion, of which, as you write, the following appears to exemplify an answer IMHO leaving VM in a legal minefield from potentially lacking a policy with regard to the law on the matter.
" field team ... confirmation this would be down to you to take the appropriate action.
If you're disconnecting the account, ... we'd send pre-paid packaging to the account address for the equipment such as TV Box and Router etc to be returned to us".
I quote selectively above from angelagatto's post for three reasons:-
1. Presumably VM Field Teams' exclusive focus is installation, provision where necessary & disconnection followed by return of modems, routers, set-top boxes & the like, etc.
2. Significantly, "appropriate action" is effectively meaningless & unenforceable. What VM define as appropriate (anyone any idea?) might strike former-VM (like angelagatto) or never-VM customers (like myself) as completely inappropriate & entirely unreasonable.
3. "Equipment such as TV Box & Router" would appear to require definitive, substantive & URGENT clarification, in everybody's best interests.
Come on VM Forum Team, let's please see some reaction to show VM take this seriously & undertake to address this to the satisfaction of homeowners suffering in properties blighted by VM's unsightly, untidy potentially dangerous or unsafe boxes, cables or other fittings seemingly surplus to its requirements if returning all of the latter upon/after disconnection is not required.
Today's 2nd VM call centre agent cut me off for allegedly "not trusting him" by asking for a unique call identifier reference, so here's trusting a good answer clarifying VM's legal position on this matter is delivered without delay.

0 Kudos