Menu
Sjstan28
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unknown phone number

+44800 183 6403

Recived a call from the above number claiming to be from Virgin Media, wanting to check if I have the best deal or if I would lkke to improve my current package.

I don't recognise the number, is it Virgin?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unknown phone number

Could be, and might not be.  You should never, ever rely on the displayed number on the handset as evidence of a caller's identity, because it is trivially easy for fraudsters to "spoof" caller line identity systems.  They won't pretend to be Aunt Maud, but they will often cause the handset to display a legitimate number for the business they're pretending to be from.

Always initiate calls yourself if they will involve banking or any personal data.  And never be browbeaten or taken in by a caller telling you that you have to do something urgently to avoid some unfavourable outcome, even if they no your name and some other personal details.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @Sjstan28,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

Sound advise there from @Andrew-G 

The number is for our sales team and they do call customers from time to time with deals. If you do not wish to receive these calls you can update your marketing preferences via your online account.  

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The number is a VM number. BUT think about it, if you were going to call people to commit fraud what is better than using a genuine VM phone number.

YOU CAN NEVER NEVER RELY ON CALLER ID.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos