cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown laptop on my network

alteh
Joining in

There's an unknown laptop on my network called laptop-abamp1m5.

It happened last week. I disconnected it by rebooting my router, but now it's back.

Who is it? Am I being hacked? Or is it VirginMedia doing some technical work on my router?

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 10.21.25.png

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

I can see the image in the previous post yet.

Is the unknown device connected via WiFi or Ethernet ?

Do you have any Powerline extenders ?

The unknown laptop is just there. Don't know how it's connected. I do not have any powerline extenders.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@alteh wrote:

The unknown laptop is just there. Don't know how it's connected. I do not have any powerline extenders.

This issue sometimes crops up on here when the customer is using powerline adapters (such as ethernet powerline connections or wi-fi boosters) and has used default settings out of the box. The powerline equipment can sometimes link with other equipment, on default settings, in neighbouring properties via the electrical wiring between the homes.

If you have no powerline equipment of any kind ...

Log into your VM hub and on the welcome page it should show you connected devices (as per second image below)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Very-long-restart/td-p/5161103

Does the mystery laptop appear there in the hub interface?

Is it a wi-fi connected device?

I disconnected the unknown laptop by rebooting my router.

So, don't know what laptop it was and how it was connected.

Next time it happens, I'll take a look on the hub page.

Hi @alteh, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media Community Forums! 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the unknown laptop on your network!
If you download the Virgin Media Connect App here and see what devices are connected to your network, with the ability to pause or remove their connection.

As well as that - you may wish to try a pin reset, place a pin in the reset pin hole for 40 seconds, located at the back or underneath the hub - depending on which model you have, and then the hub will reset and all devices will need to reconnect.

Let us know how you get along.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The unknown laptop returned and I logged in to the hub page and it's not listed.

Client62
Legend

Could it be a file share from a network printer or a NAS device ?

Can you explore the laptop to see the MAC / IP or if any services appear to be offered ?

Rebooting will temporarily remove the user.  
You can restrict access. 
1. change password to a harder one.