Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unbelievable Password Security from VM!!!

My account got hacked from China again......

Why does VM insist on such poor password standards

i.e.

Only up to 10 characters

Only letters and numbers

We're not in the late 90's now!!!!

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unbelievable Password Security from VM!!!

@ramtec wrote:

My account got hacked from China again......

Why does VM insist on such poor password standards

i.e.

Only up to 10 characters

Only letters and numbers

We're not in the late 90's now!!!!

Yet my account had the same password for the better part of a decade and was never compromised, something here smells like end user error or someone picking an extremely basic easy to guess password or someone using the same password in multiple locations

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

not sure about that shanematthews, lots of people here have had their accounts regularly hacked and the problem isn't helped by weak passwords and the fact that VM don't support strong password protection! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi ramtec

Welcome to our community forum pages and thank you for posting.

We are sorry to hear that some issues have been experienced with your account. 

Ensuring customer data is secure is of utmost importance to us and we continually invest in our security systems to keep our customers safe online.

In common with every other company, our login process requires customers to use unique passwords using a variety of characters. Additional technical controls and anti-fraud measures defend against unauthorised login attempts.

Our engineers regularly review our systems and carry out updates – and account security is always a top priority.

More information on setting strong passwords can be found here

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

broken-record-003

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@David_Pn wrote:

Hi ramtec

Welcome to our community forum pages and thank you for posting.

We are sorry to hear that some issues have been experienced with your account. 

Ensuring customer data is secure is of utmost importance to us and we continually invest in our security systems to keep our customers safe online.

In common with every other company, our login process requires customers to use unique passwords using a variety of characters. Additional technical controls and anti-fraud measures defend against unauthorised login attempts.

Our engineers regularly review our systems and carry out updates – and account security is always a top priority.

More information on setting strong passwords can be found here

The posted link appears to be incorrect, https:// is repeated twice in the url, try this link instead: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/how-to-create-a-strong-password

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Does VM really consider the below to be a 'strong' password

• be between 8 and 10 characters long
  • begin with a letter
  • consist of only letters and numbers (no special character like #&@*)
  • contain at least one number

I normally use something like "$thIs1sasTr0ng-*v-med1a"  now that is a strong password this VM one is "aVeryp0or1"

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media's password policy is unlikely to change so consider using an email service that is independent of any ISP and provides a similar or better level of security than that of the online services it secures.

BTW the help article How do I create a strong and secure password? contains a few contradiction, for example:

• ”Your password must be between 8 and 10 characters long.”  and then goes on to state “The longer the password is, the less likely it is that someone else will be able to guess it or otherwise find out what it is.”
  • “Your password must not contain names or words you would find in a dictionary.” and then goes onto suggest substituting a number for a letter in a dictionary word with an appended digit

Much like the password UI this help article gives a false sense of security IMHO.

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have had issues myself with password security and agree 10 digits is poor these days, the more digits used the harder to crack.

also the password is letters and numbers only with no special symbol characters which improve security??

I use a mixture upper and lower case letters and some numbers and change password regularly say once a month for example, having recently got advice from the community myself on passwords

I typically use 14 digits or even up to 20 on other non-virgin accounts, the virgin community allows up to 20 digits on the login password which is great.

A 10 digit password can be cracked very quickly by hackers, so one has to assume vm has antihacking measures in place but there could be less security if going via clients.The login robot check is a good security feature provided by virginmedia which clicks in sometimes to protect the account

I do not regard vm email as the very best security so tend now to use other free email services which have 2 step security and recovery codes for example gmail, outlook,yahoo.

however the one very good feature of vm email is the settings which allow you to read text only switch off html which gives very good security, this is rare to find on any other web email and usually only available on thunderbird or outlook software, so at least one good way to stay secure form vm, also this allows you to see any dodgy links in email

most malware or malicious javascripts etc all come in via html code which means email is engineered to be insecure and even images can be a danger with tracking pixels embedded, so web content/emails can be dangerous. 

I note that vm always put a standard message on security issues, but wonder if they respond to customer feedback as the system has not improved noticably but I suppose they need to keep secret their defence systems like banks etc some who now us artificial intelligence.

advise you have a good security question answer, one not easy to guess, also can be anything random.

0 Kudos