Menu
Ruthya
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send emails on home wifi

I use outlook or my iPhone/iPad to access my Virgin Media emails. About 3 weeks ago I suddenly could not send email and was prompted to re-enter my password. Even though I entered the correct password, the pop-up kept appearing and I could not send emails. If I turned off wifi on my phone I could send email. Similarly, if I connected my PC to a wifi hotspot rather than using my home braodband, I could send email.

Virgin suggested that I do the following:

• change my password - didn't work
  • Delete my email account and then re add it - did not work
  • Use Windows 10 mail - this worked but I have loads of stored emails in my folders on Outlook so this is not very practical

Eventually I found a forum that suggested spam may be an issue. So I ran the SpamHaus check that was suggested and my IP address popped on on a couple of blocked lists. I followed the instructions to get my IP address removed from one of the lists and that seemed to fix the problem.

However, yesterday the problem started again. This time the SpamHaus fix did not solve the problem. I ran a virus scan on my laptop but this didn't identify anything. We do have a number of computers and phones connected to our home network as we have two teenage sons, but it only seems to be my virgin media email that is affected.

I get the following messages:

email problems.png

I've no idea what to do. Please can someone help?

Thank you

Ruth

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unable to send emails on home wifi

Hello

From what you have said you may find you have been re-listed on Spamhaus CSS SBL list due to a spambot on your home network, as getting delisted is not not fixing the cause.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Ruthya
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

I've followed the instructions and installed Telnet and Wireshark. I did the test with Telnet to show everything is working and then stopped it and restarted as suggested in the article. Immediately I started to capture packets from the laptop I'm using. See below.

email problems3.png

Should I continue to leave it running for 2 hours as suggested? Is everything i'm seeing malicious? 

Do I still need to do the same check with the laptop connected to Ethernet and with a wifi hotspot? Also should I continue to check other devices - we have 6 computers, 4 phones, tablets etc?

More importantly, what should I do to disinfect the laptop? And how do I stop this happening again. My FSecure Internet Security software clearly didn't pick it up.

Thanks

Ruth

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

A couple I use myself is malawarebytes may not find it and rogue killer both free versions work well.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

https://www.adlice.com/download/roguekiller/

Have a look on the laptop also for Hola VPN as we are aware this causes problems. I would do the wifi hotspot option just in case it on any other computer, I know it is long winded but better safe than sorry as spambot apart from sending spam tend to be a tunnel for other malware.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Ruthya
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

I don't have Hola on this PC but know I have it on another. I've used Malwarebytes and it detected about 90 items. These were a mix of PUP.optional.MindSpark and PUP.optional.ASK events. From the descriptions for both of these, they don't sound like spambots. I have quarantined everything though. 

RogueKiller came up with 3 issues (see below) again, they don't sound like they are the issue. 

RogueKiller Anti-Malware V13.5.6.0 (x64) [Nov 7 2019] (Free) by Adlice Software
mail : https://adlice.com/contact/
Operating System : Windows 10 (10.0.18362) 64 bits
Started in : Normal mode
User : aldis [Administrator]
Started from : C:\Program Files\RogueKiller\RogueKiller64.exe
Signatures : 20191118_092918, Driver : Loaded
Mode : Standard Scan, Delete -- Date : 2019/11/19 08:18:41 (Duration : 00:04:43)

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Delete ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
[PUP.Gen0 (Potentially Malicious)] Honey -- bmnlcjabgnpnenekpadlanbbkooimhnj -> Deleted
[PUP.Mindspark (Potentially Malicious)] FromDocToPDF -- mallpejgeafdahhflmliiahjdpgbegpk -> Deleted
[PUP.Mindspark (Potentially Malicious)] Search Extension by Ask -- lgfehfbnofiffladdncogfobimealokp -> Deleted

Any more suggestions? I left Wireshark running but it has not detected anything else since. Were the packets it was capturing malicious? Is it worth restarting it?

Thanks

Ruth

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Excellent seems you have found and destroyed them, I would restart PC and re-run wireshark just to make sure, and on the other PC if you have Hola and it is the free version get rid, as the way it works its VPN uses other people internet around the world to do the feature which potentially means without your knowledge your PC is acting as VPN for other people.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Ruthya
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

I'm gradually working my way through all our home computers. So far they've all been infected. One thing  is making me a little uneasy though... Could the test using telnet be causing a false positive with Wireshark? The instructions for sniffing packets tell you to test everything is working by entering tenet smtp blueyonder.co.uk 25 in the windows search box, to test that Wireshark is receiving capturing packets. However, the instructions do not tell you to close Telnet before restarting the Wireshark capture for the real test. 

When I have tested each of my PCs, Wireshark has captured packets for a short time, immediately at the start of the test, when the telnet window is still open, and then no more packets are captured after the initial 30 or so. The IP addresses that appear look similar, if not the same as those from the blueyonder telnet test too.

Thanks

Ruth

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello

After you have tested with telnet to make sure it is set right, and as long as telnet is not running then no it will not produce a false positive. If the IP addresses are different and telnet isnt running then you will have a major infection on multiple devices.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Ruthya
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

OK Mike. Thank you. So far, the others look clean.

When I have checked them all and cleaned any infections, how do I get my self off the blacklists and get my Outlook email running again?

Regards

Ruth

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

Excellent you can request removal at https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ or once there are two clear days with no report of spam being sent you will be automatically removed.

Once removed no further action is needed will work.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.