cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create passkey

benjid
Tuning in

I previously received a prompt to create a passkey after signing in - yay. 

I removed the passkey as I wanted to test something with the intention of being able add another passkey.  I have not been able to locate anywhere that allowed me to do so. I don’t receive the prompt again, and the account settings page really should be giving users the option to add more. 

side question, are VM limiting the creation of passkeys to certain devices by chance? I was not able to create the passkey originally with another passkey authenticator, and only the iOS16+ route.

Cheers! 

5 REPLIES 5

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi benjid, 

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your post. 

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your passkey, we will do all we can to help. 

In order to assist can you please clarify if it is the passcode when unlocking the phone that you are having issues with?

Thanks, 

Nat

Hey Nat! Thanks for following up so soon, I appreciate it ☺️

Passkeys are the new ‘device authentication’ method that are replacing passwords, and use your device biometrics (face or fingerprint) instead. Virgin media have been offering support for them, through ‘device authentication’, so not a problem with my phone passcode, but instead a bug with the virgin media account /website.

The issue I’m experiencing is more of a development request from virgin media I believe, as there is a bug in how these are currently being offered. There should be an ability to create a passkey directly from my account settings/security settings - perhaps in addition to what is being offered in virgin media’s support docs (but not currently working due to what I believe is a tech bug on your side).

The support docs say there will be a pop up after signing in but this only happened the first time and doesn’t reappear if you’ve done it once, which is great until you need to create another passkey.

Cheers for any help 🙏

Thanks for your reply benjid, so that I'm sure that this is only happening, if you have already created one passkey and are trying to add another passkey?

Are you able to create multiple passkeys via the 'My Virgin Media' application?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hey Steven, thanks for getting back to me!

Just to be clear, when i'm talking about 'passkeys' I'm talking about 'device authentication'.  Passkeys are a new technology that websites, apps and online services can let users use the device biometrics (faceID/touchID/fingerprint/Windows Hello etc) to authenticate themselves into their accounts without having to enter/use a password.  This will be something more and more places will be supporting in future, and Google accounts added support for it, just this week!  You'll see a list of places supporting passkeys here: https://passkeys.directory.

As a side note, if you go to the 'My Virgin Media' app, it kicks you out to the website to use this functionality/setup - so I don't think this is where the issue might be, or if i'm mistaken I apologise in advance. 😂

I'll try and list things out in a way that hopefully helps to describe the issue I'm having, which perhaps you might pass on to your web developers/QA team to test and debug. 

Here's how things are when they go well:

1. The first time a user signs in to https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using a device that supports webauthn/passkeys, they are prompted to create a passkey (although Virgin Media have chosen to not call them a passkey nor are using the FIDO official icon that will/should be associated to 'passkeys' on the account settings screen - instead, we have half face/half fingerprint icon. Which does help new users to passkeys understand what they're related to so thats good, but a little confusing to others for now.)

Capture 2023-05-07 at 17.33.29@2x.png

Capture 2023-05-07 at 17.55.14@2x.png

2. If the user proceeds to setup their device authentication, they will receive a prompt from their browser/system/authenticator of choice that supports passkeys, to create a passkey.  This is exactly how your support docs describe - happy days! 

Capture 2023-05-07 at 17.33.59@2x.png
  3. The passkey the user's created will be available in the account settings, and everything's good.

⚠️ However, I've found when doing this on iOS16 on my iPhone I am not prompted to create a passkey if I remove the previously stored passkey. (which users may do when changing devices or for any reason they choose.)   If I am signing in on a device that supports passkeys, and there are no passkeys stored - I should get the option to set it up.  Now, ideally, the account settings page would let users set up a passkey there instead of relying upon a flag that the browser uses to check if a user has previously created a passkey or not and hide the message if this is the case. 
    ⚠️ Also I am not able to use a passkey manager/authenticator that creates passkeys as the popup does not appear for me in chrome or firefox browsers where an authenticator is present. It does in Safari (desktop/macOS) but not iOS Safari. 

The support docs do include something quite strange though, "For your security, the number of devices you can register is limited."  Which, seems a bit restrictive given that passkeys do not (to the best of my knowledge) need to be limited to a certain number of devices, however I can follow this up with the FIDO alliance to see if this is solid security guidance.

I'd love to know if there's something that can be done to allow iOS to setup more passkeys again, or if the devs are planning to make some improvements to this future authentication method. 🤞

Cheers for reading - and hopefully this helps

Ben

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us on this Ben,

Just regarding this matter we've raised it with the relevant team, once we do receive an update we'll be back in touch.

Thanks for your patience,

Kain