Menu
DearJon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Text Scam

Hi I've had a misscall and follow up texts from +447446990895 stating they are Virgin Media Retentions Team, and that I can call back direct. Feels like a scam? Can anyone confirm please?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DearJon
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Text Scam

And if it isnt legit, someone from the VM team in the Philippines is selling customer data / details, following on from my call yesterday where they refused to pass my call to UK retentions team.

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

if you've recently cancelled your services, it's not uncommon.  I had a call from a UK mobile number from VM retentions after I downgraded my package.. a lot of their staff have been working remotely since covid and are contacting customers using their mobile phones. VM will be along in a couple of days and will be able to confirm whether or not someone has tried to contact you..

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @DearJon,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

Would it be possible for you to confirm what it says on the text message(s) that you're referring to? Please feel free to provide a screenshot of the message(s), provided there's no sensitive information on there of course.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DearJon
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

DearJon_0-1621681290314.png

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @DearJon,

It's not a number that I recognise but if you've contacted the retentions department around the same time then it would appear to be legitimate.

If you're uncertain and wish to discuss other offers, please contact the team on 150 (free of charge) from a Virgin Media landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DearJon
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Its a shame no one from VM could verify.
Just seems a bit weird, especially as its a 3 network number.

0 Kudos
DearJon
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Verify as in contact them and check if legit

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@DearJon wrote:

Just seems a bit weird, especially as its a 3 network number.

Strictly speaking, these days all you can say is that it is a number that "was originally allocated" to the 3 network.

Since it became super easy to port mobile numbers when you switch provider you can no longer assume any mobile number is still on its original network. It could be on any network now.

For example when I look on a website such as https://www.emobiletracker.com/trace-process.php  my mobile number comes up as being on Orange (now EE) which is who I used to be with. However, in fact I switched to Plusnet a while ago but still kept my old number,

You are quite right to be sceptical about the authenticity of the call though. 👍

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos