Menu
Alio
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Suspicious telephone call

I received a call this morning from ‘David’ saying he was from Virgin Media.  He asked if I had given my wi fi password to anyone as it looked as though someone in California was using my IP address.  He then asked if I had noticed my internet being slow at various times.  I was suspicious of the call so I said I would contact VirginMedia myself and put the phone down.  Was this a scam and was he building up to asking me for passwords or even access to my computer?

I have had the fake Amazon calls before and the ones telling me my internet will be cut off within 24 hours and I completely ignore them but this one unsettled me a bit.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Suspicious telephone call

Hello

Certainly a scam, VM do not make outbound calls like that the agent would have probs was getting around to ask for remote access of your PC to allow him to steal banking details etc. With reagrds to your IP address your external IP address is registered to VM UK so would be impossible to use that anywhere else.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Alio
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much, this has eased my mind and if it happens again I will just put the phone down immediately.

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Alio,

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding the fraudulent call you received. I am sorry to hear that you received a scam call pretending to be us, thank you very much for raising this to our attention and for remaining vigilant by not giving out any personal details.

For more information on what you can do to put a stop to receiving fraudulent calls, please visit https://virg.in/fraudcalls

Have you reported the call to https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos