Menu
vmrichard
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Suspicious pre-authorise failure text message

Hi,

I've just received an SMS from VirginMedia saying they have failed to pre authorise my monthly payment, and give a URL of "https://virgin.media-ecare.com" to fill in billing details. By the time I got to the end of logging in on that address and filling in my billing details, I became suspicious that something wasn't right. Apart from anything else, I pay by direct debit whereas the form asked for card details and a whole lot of other personal information. Have I been scammed?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Suspicious pre-authorise failure text message

You certainly have.  If you pressed "submit" or similar at the end of that webpage, then you need to contact your card provider and bank NOW and tell them that you've been scammed.  What's more if you've given them details like name, address, date of birth, then they've got plenty to be going on with wider identity theft crime, such as applying for loans in your name.  And you may consider paying the £25 fee to Cifas, who are supposed to help prevent fraud when details have been exposed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon vmrichard,

Thanks for your post and a very warm welcome to our Community Forums.

Sorry to see that you've been contacted regarding payment

This does appear to be a scam, can you please advise me what details you've issued and if you pressed enter on any forms?

Kindest regards,

David_BN

0 Kudos
vmrichard
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes, I did get as far as submitting details before I realised something was wrong.

Details the form asked for were full name, date of birth, address, mobile number, mother's maiden name, bank card details and associated account number and sort code. What a fool I've been - was distracted at the time!!!

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Be aware the data entered maybe captured without submitting it so do not be lulled into a false sense of security.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

vmrichard
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the heads-up about Cifas 🙂
mikefox
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I was also taken in by this scam a few hours ago - and reported it in another post.

They will now have login details to my Virgin Mobile account which is paid by direct debit. Would they be able to do anything fraudulent with this access ?

0 Kudos
vmrichard
Tuning in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi mikefox, I wasn't sure about this, but changed my email address, password, and security question just as a precaution. If you don't change your login details, at the very least someone could cause mischief by altering your package or whatever.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

contact yur bank. Change your passwords

If you gave them bank details they can empty your bank

0 Kudos
mikefox
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your advice. I did in fact change the password after my post.

I have also alerted my bank.

The irony is that on receiving the spam message I did not immediately click on the link but logged on in the normal way to my Virgin account expecting to find a credit card with an out of date expiry date (forgetting that I actually pay with a bank direct debit).

But I could not find where the billing information is kept - which led me to clicking on the link.

(And I still can't find it)

0 Kudos