Menu
Cmp81
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Suspicious call

I’m just about to move house and have a virgin install booked soon. I had a call from 07445576718 who very quickly rushed through ‘I’m from virgin media - trying to sort some conflicting information for your install’ (which he didn’t specify, then instantly tried asking for digits in my passcode. I presumed spam call. I asked if he could do this by email, he said no only call or text.

My queries are

1) is this a genuine virgin media number? if not, then you must have some data leak, such that the person got my phone number after ordering your service on your website (not through a  comparison site).

2) if it is genuine, then you really need to train your callers to verify who they are and provide some way for customers to know if genuine or not, eg emailing some details first from a suitable virgin media address.

3) if genuine, why can’t any details be sorted via email / online? All other data was submitted that way.

Kind regards

Chris

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suspicious call

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/07445576718-text-number-is-genuine/td-p/443160...

It is legitimate

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
Cmp81
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Matt,

Thanks and I had seen that post before I put my post up but intentionally added the other points as I didn't really make me feel a lot better. I haven't seen an answer as to why they would do this via text rather than email / something more secure or why they wouldn't have a single number that they use for all such occasions.

One post from a moderator on a support site, which is separate from their main site, saying "it's OK" doesn't really do much. Every instinct in me tells me that this is suspicious. If it's not suspicious then just from a business perspective it's incompetent. Why wouldn't you do it through a secure online website or why would you not have a single number that you publish on that site which is the only one to contact you.

Not looking to be awkward but I'm not going to be giving account details over text or to a random person calling me without any verification of who they are just because one person on a public forum says it's OK.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I totally understand and even had this issue myself with Virgin both recently when leaving and also when I was having a service installed last year,

The way they are running customer service currently is terrible

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Cmp81,

The call would have been from us. You may not see the standard Virgin Media contact centre numbers as many outbound calling team members were issued company mobiles to be able to reach customers. Outbound callers do still need to follow data protection guidelines the same as inbound call centre staff, so the questions and verification process would be the same. We can and do communicate through emails and webchats however depending on the urgency of the matter, calling you would be the most efficient.

Our records do show that you have since been in touch and the issue have been addressed.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos