Menu
Chesney41
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Suspicious call and email from Virgin

I cancelled my contract on Thursday and then I had a call Friday from a mobile number and they said they were Virgin.  I work shifts so I was a bit dazed after a sleep.  They said they’d beat the price offered and upgraded my internet to M200 and add some TV bundles.  Just wondered if this was genuine? Did not ask for any personal details other than my name.  Today I got an email from Virgin saying I had a sim only contract starting, and the sim would be posted out.  It states it’s free so that’s fine but I don’t remember this being an offer.  Is all this contact genuine?  Thanks

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suspicious call and email from Virgin

@Chesney41 wrote:

I cancelled my contract on Thursday and then I had a call Friday from a mobile number and they said they were Virgin.  I work shifts so I was a bit dazed after a sleep.  They said they’d beat the price offered and upgraded my internet to M200 and add some TV bundles.  Just wondered if this was genuine? Did not ask for any personal details other than my name.  Today I got an email from Virgin saying I had a sim only contract starting, and the sim would be posted out.  It states it’s free so that’s fine but I don’t remember this being an offer.  Is all this contact genuine?  Thanks

a lot of VMs staff are home working at the moment and certainly, their sales folks are using mobiles to contact customers - i had a similar call last April, which was genuine, and resulted in a pretty significant saving on my package.

one of hte forum staff will be along at some point and will be able to check for any contact on your account and verify whether or not the call was genuine.. that said, as long as they didn't ask for personal information, request any sort of payment  or payment details, then it's probably all good.

edit: see here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Recieved-a-call-from-mobile-number-claiming-to...

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

sounds genuine but check the deal on your account matches what you was told and agreed especially the price - things can and do get changed 

Tony
0 Kudos
Chesney41
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  Had email through now confirming and I’ve checked my account and all legit.  I guess with working from home they have to use a mobile.  Just seemed too informal.  

0 Kudos