Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Suspicious Calls Claiming to be from Virgin

I've just had TWO calls (apparently from UK numbers) from people claiming to be from the Technical Department of Virgin Media. I assumed these were attempted scams / phishing / hacking attempts, as the people sounded very amateurish and rang off at the slightest challenge from me! When the 2nd caller claimed to be from VM, I said 'Really?' and they rang off.

But people should be aware that such calls are doing the rounds.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suspicious Calls Claiming to be from VirginI assumed these were attempted scams / phishing / hacking

I assumed these were attempted scams / phishing / hacking attempts, as the people sounded very amateurish and rang off at the slightest challenge from me!

There's some people would think that sounds quite authentic for VM.  Not me of course.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suspicious Calls Claiming to be from VirginI assumed these were attempted scams / phishing / hacking

But that would mean that someone had actually got any customer service out of VM at all to find them amateurish! I haven't heard of anyone getting any service for years!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suspicious Calls Claiming to be from Virgin

@timbo42 wrote:

But people should be aware that such calls are doing the rounds.

There are now about 20 threads on this board reporting exactly this. I will repeat what I have said before. We are ALL getting these calls. The scammers are using bulk dialling software to sequentially go through every phone number in an STD code area. Using OFCOM'S readily available databases they are assuming anyone with a number in a block on that STD area that is allocated to Virgin will be a Virgin customer.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks