Menu
Crispinhobbs
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Suspect contact claiming to be from Virgin Media

Hi,

Had a call from 01992 245 029 telling me someone was trying to access my broadband "via my IP address". Started to ask how many devices I had on wifi, but I didn't answer because he couldn't verify that he was actually from Virgin Media and the call came to an end.

How should Virgin Media prove it's them, and how do I know if the above was a con or actually was VM ?

Thanks

Cris

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Suspect contact claiming to be from Virgin Media

The above was, indeed, a con. Browse through this forum and 'Home Phone' and you will find dozens of identical posts. VM would not contact you out of the blue by phone for a technical problem.

The scammers have created so much confusion and uncertainty with their inbound scam calls and fake caller ID that it is impossible to trust any inbound call as being genuine.

In theory, VM are supposed to ask you some security questions to validate the call but, given the above, it would be ridiculous to give out that information to any inbound caller.

If you have any query that needs discussing with VM, then customers need to initiate outbound contact of some kind. For most things, using the VM forums is the most likely way to get a useful outcome IMO but they are not necessarily the fastest and can't deal with contract/account queries.

0 Kudos
Crispinhobbs
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suspect contact claiming to be from Virgin Media

Many thanks goslow, your prompt and clear answer is appreciated,

Best regards

Cris

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person