Menu
mymatejay
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Super hun 1 SSID keeps resetting

Hi!

As I put in the subject, the SSID keeps resetting by itself. I can’t work out why it does this but it means all smart devices disconnect, particularly worrying for the security cameras. 
can anyone help?

Many thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super hun 1 SSID keeps resetting

Many consumer electronic devices use CMOS chips for user settings, and I'd guess VM hubs are no different.  CMOS chips need a very small power source to maintain settings (unlike the more costly EPROM chips used for a PC BIOS that retain setting without power), and typically that uses an on board capacitor or battery to keep the CMOS powered up.  Eventually the battery or capacitor dies or becomes flakey, and the device then loses custom settings.  As the Superhub 1 is about ten years old this seems very probable, and you'll need a replacement.

I'll flag for staff to advise, but be aware that somebody has beggared up the supply chain for new hubs, and whilst you ought to get a new Hub 3, there's a fair possibility that you'll get either a technologically ancient and almost as decrepit Superhub 2ac (I'd refuse that myself), or somebody else's post-use, returned and wiped with a damp cloth Hub 3. Returned devices are checked, and should be fine, but reports round here indicate that these second or more hand devices aren't subject to stringent quality control, with a few shipping out as totally non-operational, or otherwise defective.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi mymatejay, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with an SSID on your Superhub 1. 

Checking the account I can see that you have a different Hub connected. Are you using an older Superhub 1 as a router or have you just made a mistake in the heading? 

Let us know so we can help you further. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
mymatejay
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

No mistake, I have two accounts for two locations. The Superhub 1 is at the other location.

thanks!

0 Kudos
mymatejay
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So, any advice @kath_f ??

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi MymateJay, 

as we cannot locate this account I will pop you over a PM so we can take  look at what is happening 🙂
Keep an eye out for the purple envelope

Zoie

0 Kudos