Menu
Bikernp10
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Steal rat malware infection letter

I have received letter from VM regarding malware, the letter is very general. I have 5 iOS devices, two televisions, several Sonos speakers two kindles on the network. I am running a scan on the Mac using clam xv. Apart from that I do not know where to start, can anyone help, please?

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Steal rat malware infection letter

Hey @Bikernp10,

Thanks for reaching out to us on the community forums for help with this issue.

I have been able to locate your account and can see that you have spoken to the team, have they been able to give you more information about this issue?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Bikernp10
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

On contacting them, I was told that the issue was that someone had tried to hack my email account. Nothing to do with steal rat. However it seems strange that the email I received was not correct, it doesn’t inspire confidence. As a solution. The account password was changed.

0 Kudos
Bikernp10
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

On contacting them, I was told that the issue was that someone had tried to hack my email account. Nothing to do with steal rat. However it seems strange that the email I received was not correct, it doesn’t inspire confidence. As a solution, the account password was changed.

0 Kudos
Bikernp10
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have received a letter through the post today, dated 15/01/20,  reiterating that I may have malware on one of my devices. This is most unhelpful do I believe this letter and try to find and remove it or do I believe the telephone conversation I had with technical support,  on initially receiving the malware notification email where I was told that someone had tried to hack my email account. The email password was then changed. Please can anyone out there clarify this issue and advise if I need to take action?

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @Bikernp10

Thanks for coming back to us. I can see from checking the system, we did indeed send a letter on that date. Please do follow the advice on the letter.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Bikernp10
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello John

Thanks for your reply.

There are 5 apple devices on my network, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones 1 Mac Book pro. I have changed Apple ID passwords, cleared all safari caches and have completed an antivirus/ malware scan on the Mac Book with negative results.  Are these measures sufficient to guard against this possible infection? Or do I have to change all individual passwords?

I have a number of other devices on the network:

6 sonos speakers

2 LG televisions

2 amazon kindles

2 WiFi boosters

I have no idea what  risks are  associated with these devices and what actions if any need to be taken. Could you help, or can you point me in the right direction to access help? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bikernp10,

Thanks for your continued responses about this malware issue, I can understand your concern but I'm sure there is nothing to worry about if you have followed the instructions on the letter you have received.

As further help and advice to keep you protected, you can change all passwords to important apps and accounts such as banking apps, your Virgin Media Online Account, any shopping websites such as Amazon which have your banking details if you feel like you want to be extra careful.

Keeping your computer up to date and frequent virus scans (I do a scan once a month on my personal PC) will help keep you well protected and in the know with any issues. You can do this on your smart phone or tablets too!

I also have a handy link here - Fraud Prevention Tips and Tricks - which has a blanket overview of fraud that I think will be helpful 🙂

I hope my info gives you a bit more clarity!

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Check the Kindles for malware, they run an Amazon version of Android so may be vulnerable.
Also check that the WiFi boosters & the Router are not broadcasting a guest or open wifi signal where anyone can use your internet. If one or more are then this may be the source - someone who’d infected have accessed your internet.

0 Kudos
Bikernp10
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your advice. My kindles are only readers, they are not kindle fires. Can readers be infected?

Thanks

0 Kudos