cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spoof phone call about illegal use of WiFi by someone outside

Hully2K
Joining in

Had a phone call from guy with Indian accent saying from virgin media and that our broadband Wi-Fi was being used by somebody other than us for illegal activities? Phone number was [REMOVED]. I didn’t continue the phone conversation just told him I would contact virgin media directly. Then phoned 150 but didn’t get very far it was all select numbers 1 or 2 then from the five numbers 1-5 and finally sent a link to access website. I could have done this myself . Frustrating we can’t get hold of anybody but spoofers and cold callers have no problem getting to us

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

There's little point in contacting VM TBH. This was a scam call, as you seem to have recognised already. There is nothing that VM can/will do about them.

VM don't make unsolicited outbound tech support calls. Not do they request remote access to customers' computers. If you get any calls like these they are all scams.

You can choose to ignore and not answer unknown numbers, let them go to answering machine or invest in some call-screening kit. Info on an earlier post today is here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Scam-Phone-Calls/m-p/4852722#M158337

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Hully2K

This is definitely a spoof call as we would never call regarding this 

Without checking the account I can assure you everything is okay with your service 

Even checking the number on Google advises its a scam 

However I am happy to check your account if you wish 

Gareth_L

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The number posted has been cloned from a business in Reading.

I have asked the forum mods to remove it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

hp11
Joining in

I've just had this call from 0126044xxx.   At 8:30am - woman's voice, Indian accent.  Said that they had information that shows illegal use of my internet.  Asked me to check lights on my hub, if I'd given my wifi password to friends and neighbours and how many devices were connected to my wfi right now.  I said I didn't know, she said 9.  She then asked me to get my mobile phone and look for an app called Liquid Support.   I asked her how I could be sure she was from Virgin Media as this all sounded very strange and I'm conscious of scam calls getting you to do things you really shouldn't.  She started to get impatient with me and said she'd already told me why she was calling.   I said I'd never heard of Liquid Support and it didn't sound like anything to do with VM.  She said that is why she wants to show me with my own eyes who is connected to my wifi, but her tone was off and by then it just didn't sound write, so I told her she was being rude now, said goodbye and hung up.    Did make me concerned though, so glad I found this thread.   It does make me wonder if they have access to something - obviously I didn't look at what she was going to show me.   I Googled Liquid Support and couldn't find it.  Certainly not about to put something on my phone they can access.

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

Just had a similar call. Claimed there were ‘illegal IPs’ connecting via my router. Wanted me to connect to a ‘Virgin media server’ to prove it was them and so they could ‘update my firewall settings’.

They didn’t do any kind of verification at the beginning of the call. I asked for some details of what the illegal traffic was, as working in Cybersecurity myself I would understand the information. Gave me a ridiculous story that they can’t give out details over the phone and started getting stroppy with me to connect to this server, which obviously I refused to do.

The unusual bit was that these scammers usually hang up the moment they clock they are taking to someone who knows what they are doing. This one didn’t and kept making threats that I would be responsible for what happens next and she was recording the call and making a note on the account. Also actually suggested I call back to 150, which is bold.

Anyway, obviously a scam, but I thought I would post the details to help others recognise the patter.