Menu
vginforum
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Spam phone call

Just a heads up.

Just received a call saying it was from my 'internet service provider and my connection would be cut off in four hours because of problems with my router'.

So now they get notice of a router problem...???

He did eventually name VM when I asked who my ISP was (lucky guess). He asked me to sit in front of my computer. I asked him for my VM account number. He rang off.

1471 gave me the number 01308285953 but that doesn't show in a search.

Makes a change from my Amazon Prime about to expire (I don't have an a/c) or there are problems with my BT a/c.

Just thought I'd highlight this so people can warn more gullible recipients.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam phone call

@vginforum wrote:

Just a heads up.

Just received a call saying it was from my 'internet service provider and my connection would be cut off in four hours because of problems with my router'.

So now they get notice of a router problem...???

There are no problems with your router. They are scammers calling you from India.

He did eventually name VM when I asked who my ISP was (lucky guess). He asked me to sit in front of my computer. I asked him for my VM account number. He rang off.

Not a lucky guess. Providers are allocated blocks of phone numbers on every exchange in the country. Lists of these numbers are freely available on the Internet. They are just using auto-diallers to call these blocks of numbers & assume because you have one of that providers numbers you are a customer.

1471 gave me the number 01308285953 but that doesn't show in a search.

It won't. Its either non-existant or cloned from a genuine household or business that has nothing to do with the scammmers.

Makes a change from my Amazon Prime about to expire (I don't have an a/c) or there are problems with my BT a/c.

Just thought I'd highlight this so people can warn more gullible recipients.

Join the club (& the other hundred or so existing threads on these boards posting the same as you). We are ALL getting these calls as the scammers know there are many people working from home during lockdown & reliant on Broadband.

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
vginforum
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam phone call

So today it was BT technical department saying they were going to fix my internet connection which was stopping in 30 days... sigh
0 Kudos