Menu
cloggy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Spam email warning letter from Virginmedia

Just received a letter saying spam emails are coming from my broadband connection. I have checked my only Win10 computer with Avast and malwarebytes...no issues, no malware, viruses etc. Also checked using online virus/malware checker...nothing.

My daughter has been 'working from home' at my house due to Covid since end March and has been sending 100-200 emails a day all over the world as part of her job in publishing. Her works computer (Macbook) connects to internet via the company VPN but all those emails would have been going out via my broadband connection albeit from her works email address NOT a virginmedia address.

She returned to work about 6 weeks ago so not been using my connection for last 6 weeks.

So...Virginmedia...can you tell me the time period over which you say these spam emails were being sent via my connection AND is it possible that your system has picked up the high number of emails sent via my daughters works email address as spam.

Letter reference VMIS82-SPAMBOT-F008337843

Regards

Mr Moore

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam email warning letter from Virginmedia

cloggy
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes one Win10 computer on ethernet. Have run Wireshark for two hours now...no traffic on port 25.

Other device is an android phone...has antivirus/malware. no issues. 

Have two google home mini devices...not sure if they could be infected?

Regards

Alan

0 Kudos
cloggy
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Would be really helpful if someone from the Virginmedia forum team can have a look at this please. I have checked my computer and phone for virus and malware...no issues. Have run the winshark test as suggested...no traffic on port 25 on any device.

There must have been something specific that caused Virginmedia to trigger this alert. If the alleged Spam traffic was as a result of my daughters work computer sending out a large number of emails emails via her VPN then this traffic would have ceased about 6 weeks ago when she returned home. A simple check to see if the alleged spam  occurred over the period she was using my connection ( march to end of june) but ceased when she left 6 weeks ago would answer the question.

Its all well and good sending these warning letters out, but when it stipulates my account may be suspended or canceled if I don't 'fix it' then I feel that virginmedia should at least respond when I put forward a possible reason for the alert being triggered. The letter does ask that I use the community forum for help...which i have done....surely a reply from virginmedia to say someone is looking into it would not be too much to ask.

Regards

Alan 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@cloggy The VM Forum Team are dealing with a large number of posts currently.  Response times can be up to a week.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@cloggy 

With regards to this:

If the alleged Spam traffic was as a result of my daughters work computer sending out a large number of emails emails via her VPN then this traffic would have ceased about 6 weeks ago when she returned home.

I don't work for VM but I can tell you for a fact that that won't be the case.  Let me explain why:

When a machine is connected to a VPN (Virtual Private Network), then to all intents and purposes it no longer behaves as if it's a part of your home network, it has instead become a part of her companies private network.  All traffic is sent encrypted between her PC and the company's VPN server.  Emails sent while she is on the VPN would appear to come from her companies public IP address rather than a Virgin Media IP.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

cloggy
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info ravenstar68.

So I am still waiting for the Virgin media team to reply to this question. It is annoying that you (viginmedia)  keep sending me emails to leave feedback on your service in dealing with this query. Well in short you haven't dealt with it.

I have done everything I can regarding checking at my end and my system is clean. Can I ask that someone officially responds.

Mr Moore

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I've escalated this to the Forum Team for you as the post appears to have been missed.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello cloggy

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you 

I'm going to take a look into this for you 

I will need access your account after passing security though 

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello cloggy

Thanks for passing security 

I have raised this issue with our Internet Security Team now 

It can take a few days for this to be fixed