Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Someone is using my email address

Someone has purchased a broadband package with virgin media and has used my email address. I am currently getting all the information about his package. I have tried contacting virgin media but they are not replying to my complaint/messages. I can access all their account information and purchase packages in this persons name.

How do I get this sorted?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Someone is using my email address

I've escalated that for the forum staff who should respond today.  If this isn't sorted quickly enough for your satisfaction then report it to the Information Commissioner's Office, since it is a potential breach of the Data Protection Act/GDPR.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's a gray area if the new customer gave VM the wrong email address.
As far as VM would know under GDPR they are processing the information in line with the new customers wishes.

Not sure how GDPR would apply here if it ended up in court. Would be interesting to see one of them cases play out

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey there Simon1914,

I'm sorry to hear you've been receiving emails concerning someone else's package. It may be a typo but I'm going to send you a Private Message so I can get some details and take a look. Please reply back to it.

Thanks,

Lisa

Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just received another email about this persons bill so this is clearly not resolved yet. I Need this sorted as quickly as possible. I am tempted to buy loads of add ons so this person realises that someone else has control of their account. Not happy that this is still going on I thought it was sorted 3 weeks ago but I am afraid it hasn't been. I will wait 24 hours for an acknowledgement and apology from virgin and if I haven't had anything done about it by then this person will have a much bigger bill next month.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Simon1914,

Sorry for the late reply, 

I'm sorry you're still receiving some emails, I've had a look and I've had to raise another IT ticket.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. I should of updated the threads status. I waited for a few hours on the online chat while watching a film and managed to get a reply off of tech support. Hopefully it is sorted now as my email address is no longer usable on their website. It is incredibly hard and long to speak to someone at virgin media I tried waiting in a cue on the phone for 45 minutes before I had to go and do something and I was waiting in online chat for 2 hours. It doesn't make me want to ever become a customer in the future. Anyway take care and thank you for your reply anyway.

0 Kudos