cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smishing?

the_jez
On our wavelength

Hi, the other day I got a text which looks very suspicious as it came from a mobile number and has numerous spelling errors and broken grammar. I didn't reply, but please let me know whether to report it to my network. 

Hi <my name> 
it's abid from virgin media loyalty team ,I have tried to contact you today regarding loyalty discount you are entitled to .
We can now provide you with the same package M 500 brodband only priced at 27 pounds for 18 months you can text back if you are interested and I will confirm by email to you or
Please contact me back by for more information onon [MOD EDIT: Potential spoofed number]
Thanks abid baqqari loyalty team VMO2

Note, that I didn't get any mail, call or contact and I haven't called the number. It does have my full name in it though. I did call VM recently as I am coming up to the end of my contract.

1 REPLY 1

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @the_jez thanks for your post here although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to establish if the number is spoofed or not from our side, but we would advise if you are interested in the offer you can please give us a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and the team will be more than happy to replicate this for you if genuine.

For more help on scam calls/texts, please see here.

Many thanks

Tom_W