cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Security' questions on the VM helpline ...?

Oscar221
On our wavelength

I got through to a person (likely in a call centre in India -- I'm afraid it had that feel) on the VM helpline earlier today (Saturday 10th October 2022) after about 20 minutes waiting.  As security questions I was asked for my email, full name, amount of my monthly Virgin Media payment, date of month it went out on and my bank sort code.  I didn't actually know all of these details but I apparently 'passed security'.  When I started to explain my Virgin Media account problems the line quickly went dead. wth?

Is that legitimate? Your helpline staff ask for bank info??? 

Will it help if I lodge a complaint?

Thanks,

Oscar221

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Oscar221, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome back to the forums.

Sorry to hear about the confusion regarding the security questions.
If the memorable word option fails then we usually opt for our secondary questions which does include what you have listed in this thread.
If we were to take this privately, e.g. imagine you had a fault issue, then we would ask those same questions as well, I understand it can be a shock but it is what we ask, the information is on our side, we just check to see if it conforms.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Those are some of the routine questions you might be asked by VM staff on here too.

Oscar221
On our wavelength

Hi goslow,

Thanks for responding. I'm quite surprised about the bank sort code but if you say so (that comes dangerously close to "asking for bank details" I would have thought).  

Thanks,

Oscar221

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Yes, agreed it isn't a very satisfactory method of confirming identity. Individually a bank sort code is not likely to be too much use to any one but, added alongside other bits of personal info about an individual gathered from different sources, it may have some use.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Oscar221, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome back to the forums.

Sorry to hear about the confusion regarding the security questions.
If the memorable word option fails then we usually opt for our secondary questions which does include what you have listed in this thread.
If we were to take this privately, e.g. imagine you had a fault issue, then we would ask those same questions as well, I understand it can be a shock but it is what we ask, the information is on our side, we just check to see if it conforms.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs