Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Searching for Spambots on my network

Hello,

I've been following @ravenstar68 's  advice and my Desktop is clear through the wired ethernet connection.  I've ordered a Wifi dongle to complete the testing and in the meantime I've switched off my IP cameras as a precaution a few days ago, although i'm still using my iphone and ipad.     

Do you think i should disconnect those devices too while i wait?

Many Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Searching for Spambots on my network

To be honest unless you have jailbroken the iPad and iPhone and installed something from a less than trustworthy source, the chances of you having malware on an iOS device is quite small. Apple's vetting of software in the App store is not perfect (nothing is) but the chances of anything malicious being accepted and then you happen to have installed it is low.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you @jem101, I was hoping that was the case.

As an afterthought, even when I find the culprit, how can I be sure my IP address is no longer listed as dodgy? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Spamhaus lists are dynamic - they are updated regularly, so that when malicious traffic stops, your address is de-listed.  If it starts up again (after a device or the spambot itself has been dormant), then the address is listed again.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks