Menu
CRJames1992
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Scamming phone calls

I keep getting calls from 01819276482, from people claiming to be calling from the Virgin Media security department, they are using my landline number, so I cannot block the number. The people calling are unable to identify who I am, so I am naturally skeptical and hanging up.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scamming phone calls

It’s a common scam, don’t engage with them at all, just hang up. 

Unfortunately there’s little you can do about it - the come from lots of different numbers (spoofing caller id is very easy).

goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@CRJames1992 wrote:

I keep getting calls from 01819276482, from people claiming to be calling from the Virgin Media security department, they are using my landline number, so I cannot block the number. The people calling are unable to identify who I am, so I am naturally skeptical and hanging up.

The scammer calls will almost certainly continue and will probably be via different spoofed caller ID numbers and/or scripted narratives (Amazon, Microsoft, HMRC, refund scam, tech support scam etc.). VM do not make unsolicited tech support calls to customers.

If the calls become problematic, consider screening your landline calls with third party equipment such as a trueCall device or call-screening phones (such as those from BT) which have trueCall technology built into them (which will be listed in the product description).

These devices screen the calls by requesting a caller to state who they are and press a key on the phone in order to progress the call. Automated scam calls cannot do this, so the call is dropped without ringing your home phone. Contacts in your device address book ring straight through without the screening process.

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@CRJames1992 wrote:

The number is fake (London has moved to 020 code now & the 0181 code was never realocated). The calls are actually coming from India, & as the number you are using is allocated to VM on OFCOMs provider list, they just assume you are a VM customer.

Please also take care when posting numbers on the forum. This one is OK as it does not exist, but scammers are also cloning numbers that are in use, resulting in further nuisance calls to innocent parties.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Phone-number-cloning/m-p/4733595/highlight/tru... 

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks