Menu
kirk1690
Superfast
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Scammers

Just had a phone call from a probable scammer ,he's said he was from virgin media and that my router is in danger from hackers then he asked me to turn my pc on ,now for me this was a great laugh but some people might believe this .Just to let Virgin Media know .Iv had many of these calls before but never mentioned virgin media before which for a moment made me think it could be genuine .

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scammers

@kirk1690 wrote:

Just to let Virgin Media know .Iv had many of these calls before but never mentioned virgin media before which for a moment made me think it could be genuine .

As you are probably aware scams like this affecting all telecoms providers have been going on for years.

Actually, it is very easy for scammers to have a good idea which provider you are with. The land line numbers allocated to each provider (BT, Virgin, Sky etc) are all readily available and scammers use auto dialers to call each number in turn and see if someone answers. If no-one answers the dialer simply moves on to the next number

In many cases, it is the 2 or 3 digits after the geographic area code  that indicate which provider the number has been allocated to. Again, spreadsheets that specify all that information are freely available from official sources.

Based on that information when a victim answers the scammer's call.the person working for the scammer can have a pretty good idea of whether they should claim to be from VM, Sky or BT.  It is not 100% accurate of course because people often port their phone number when they move from one provider to another. That does not worry the scammers, if they get called out they simply move on to the next number.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks