cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammer spoofing Virgin Media phone numbers

soosie
On our wavelength

For the last couple of weeks I have been receiving calls and texts to my mobile from 0800 183 6403. Because I didn't/don't recognise the number I checked with "Who called me ?" it shows that this is listed as a Virgin Media number - but has been reported nearly 300,000 times as a probable scam. I have also received calls to my landline from this number. 

The last text received at 12:12 20/05/2022 reads   "Hi it s Virgin Media. We re improving your services by carrying out some work in your area. If you experience a loss of connection it should be for no longer than 20 minutes. We ll get you back online as soon as possible. For more info head to virginmedia.com/servicechecker"   

I did not click on the link in the text message but went straight to my Virgin Media account via my desktop to check - surprise, surprise there were no service issues in my area or with my hub. Lack of apostrophes in the message also aroused my suspicions. Plus the fact that my account settings with VM do not include my mobile number.

I believe that this number has been spoofed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for keeping us updated with that information, Soosie - we appreciate it. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have received emails from VM with EXACTLY the same wording in the past. This is usually for forthcoming planned outages and is issued a week or so in advance, so nothing will show up on the service status until the date the works takes place.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

soosie
On our wavelength

Thank you for your reply - BUT Virgin Media do not have my mobile number (my mobile is with a different service provider) and I have only ever received any similar genuine  messages from VM by email. So I still consider this to most likely be a phishing exercise !

Hi Soosie,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the messages you've been having.

To confirm, have you ever had any services with ourselves? Home or Mobile?

^Martin

soosie
On our wavelength

My landline, broadband and TV are all with you and have been since about 2003 ! You've normally contacted me by email if there is a service issue in my area

I am now getting the calls on my mobile on a daily basis - although no more texts (as yet !!). Because I'm in a poor reception area for my particular mobile service provider the calls usually cut out after 2 rings so, for now, I'm just deleting them from my call list and hoping that the scammers will eventually give up 🙄

Thank you for confirming this @soosie, have you been able to register your number with the telephone preference service to help reduce these calls? You can find out more information here

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

soosie
On our wavelength

My landline is registered (has been for a number of years) but I do still get some sales/marketing calls ☹️

My mobile number isn't registered so I will go ahead and register that one

regards

Sue

Please keep us updated if you do receive any further calls that you are not 100% sure on @soosie. If you are ever in doubt about any calls, it's always best to air on the side caution and call on 0345 454 1111 or 150 from you Virgin Media landline or 0345 6000 or 789 from a Virgin Mobile handset. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

soosie
On our wavelength

Thank you 😊

I'm now getting calls on my mobile from 08001836411 - when I check on "Who called me?" this is another number that is a VM number that has been reported numerous times as being "spoofed".

Whoever is calling only lets my phone ring twice and then hangs up so I get a "missed call" message - as with the other number I just delete it from my call list and hope that they will eventually give up !

Please be assured that I am well aware of the tricks that scammers use - I NEVER click on links in text messages (or emails from unknown origin) and would absolutely never divulge personal information to cold callers of any description. My main aim in starting this thread was to ensure that VM are aware that some of their telephone numbers are, apparently, being spoofed and to make other community members aware of a possible new scam doing the rounds. I was also hoping that VM, once informed, might be able to do something about it - surely I can't be the only customer who is getting these calls/texts ? 

As annoying as it is to keep getting these calls I will just continue to ignore them - if I did think that any one might be a genuine call from VM then I would check it out directly with VM.

Regards

Soosie 

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for keeping us updated with that information, Soosie - we appreciate it. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.